Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Gentlemen, I would like to submit a brief parable.

About 2 months ago, after many painful (about 18)years of struggle, I had acquired a rig which produced the tone of all tones... MY sound. Though it had eluded me for many years, once I stumbled on MY sounds' door step I thought, "This is it. The tone I've been waiting for. God has come on a white horse from heaven and delivered it to my door step. I shall cherish this forever and hold it passionately against my bosom, guard it from evil and defend it from naysayers." This is MY sound! And I love it!

I was elated. No more equipment purchases. I can finally relax, rather than staying awake at night going around in circles thinking, "I could try this combination of heads with this cab and this bass and set the tweeter attenuator right here and the bass mid control there and put my Sans Amp after the Bassballs and use a thicker speaker cable, blah, blah, blah.....

AND THEN....

I got the ingenious idea to sell my two cabinets with hopes that I could produce my heavenly tone from one SUPER cabinet. After all, I was satisfied with my basses, my amps and pedals and, surely, with all this great gear, I should be able to squeeze MY sound from anything, without a sweat.

(What the hell was I thinking)

So, here I am two months later, jumping from cabinet to cabinet like a flimsy and unscrupulous tone seeking Ho, clinging to the hope that MY sound will come and rescue me fom the low end hell I've created for myself: a dark and dank place where there are cabs and gear as far as the eye can see but it all produces YOUR sound, not mine.

Lesson learned (Get to the point, will you!):

If and when you find YOUR tone, don't sell a Damn thing. Keep EVERY integral component of the chain and run it until the end of its useful life (or yours.) Don't let it go. Embrace it. Dig it. Celebrate it. Don't be an Idiot!

If anything, it will save you the embarrassment of composing a long and not particularly interesting post. Other TB'ers will thank you. Chicks will dig you. And your ears will love you.

BTW, the configuration was this:

Status Empathy 5 into Sans Amp DI, into Eden WT 300, into 1 Eden 210T cab and a Nemesis 1x15 cab. Pure tonal bliss and I F'd it up. MY sound was in there and I kicked it to the curb. Idiot! IDIot!! IDIOT!!!

(Sorry. I just had to vent.) :)
  2. Why can't you get your old CAB's back?? :confused:
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Oh, I don't have the problem of having sold anything - I'm a friggin' packrat! I've gotten the "perfect" configuration for my ideal sound and what have I done? Friggin added more and more! The wife is bound to discover all of these cabs, heads and basses I've hidden from her!
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I work for UPS. I have everything sent ot the bldg. She never knows a thing. Ignorance is bliss...

Micro, I sold one to a dude in Texas and another to a dude in Connecticut or some damn place. Finding a used Eden 210T should be easy. A used Nemesis, OTOH, not so easy. I might have to suck it up and buy a new one as soon as I'm done weeping...:rolleyes:
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See? There you are. Never sell anything. Accumulation is the name of the game.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    listen to munji - he who dies with the most strings wins. :D
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Wow, you know JT's lookin' for posts when he's hanging out in the Amps forum. ;) No regrets about selling the Ovation though JT, right?
  8. I've got a whole shed full of stuff for this same reason.
  9. So the EBS 212 didn't work out?After reading your postI think I'll keep what I've got too.I was thinking of selling my 210XLT and building a couple of 112s to match my 212 but the XLT has always sounded great every where I've used it.I think I better keep it and wait till I can afford to build a couple 112s.Like you say,once you have your tone don't sell it off.Hope you can get yours back someday.
  10. Oh I see.. I didn't know the would be hard to find.

Poo to you :p G'luck...

JT... lol :D
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I need desperately to take a class like Hoarding 101, The Science and Pragmatic Implementation of Pack Ratting. I have a very bad habit of liquidating immediately when the wheels in my head start turning. (This is old school and it does not belong)! Is there any hope?

The EBS is killer...very close. The best overall single cab I've ever messed with. As you mentioned, the 2x12 configuration cuts thru well and maintains outstanding definition and balance of tone. I am going to work with it a bit more b/c if I can do it with one cab it will be worth it. I also have a bad habit of going thru an initial rejection period with new equipment and then it (I) comes around, usually.

I'm a mess...:)
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

you know, i never used it, so no i don't regret selling it to gabu. i'm sure he'll give it a good home.

and yeah, i need to hang out over here more. i've got lots of amply goodness to share.

stop looking at me like that.