1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Idiotbox blower box vs Fuzzrocious rat/cat tail vs Dunwich volt thrower vs Cog tk 421

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeeDeeKing, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM.

1. i would like to hear your impressions on those different rat based pedals.

i play mosrite basses with a pick and this is my band (i recorded the album with a darkglass vintage deluxe but now i prefer something more agressive and cutting)

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Your responses will be all over the board. Friendly suggestion to add some details to your post so that responders can stay on topic and help you better.
    Available via PM here or at fuzzrociouspedals@gmail.com if you have questions.

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Idiot Box, Fuzrocious, Dunwich, COG? I’m thinking the answer is “yes.” ;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:59 AM
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Love the tune, love the band name.

I only have experience with the Blower Box (and love it), but I'm guessing Stevorebob is correct that it's a win/win/win/win situation. I have to say that I've always been intrigued by the Volt Thrower: I believe it allows you to select from a half-dozen clipping diodes, which offers a lot of versatility.

5. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I play a similar style and to be honest the subtle differences will probably be lost in a mix. Just grab one and crush some skulls.

6. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    OP should try the Mosky rat to just see if he likes the feel of a RAT. It's close enough to all the ones mentioned that it would be a very good way to test out the RAT circuit on bass.

7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    DeeDeeKing likes this.
  8. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I freakin HATE rats. It occurred to me long ago that the reason Squirrels tend to be viewed as cute and Rats as an abomination, is because Squirrels have the sense to stay out of our homes. They don’t crawl around in your walls, poop in your dish cabinets, then die and decompose in the crawl space.

I do love my Volt Thrower though, and the Ruetz mod.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A family of squirrels gnawed their way into my attic one winter, and I had to chase one of the b@st@rds out of the house after I found it roaming around a lower floor. Better squirrels than rats, though.

Or bats. A bat got into my house once.

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like rats (the rodents). I don't like Rats (the pedals). RodentRats are like squirrels but they are smart and have no hair on their tails. Like humans. Squirrels are dumb as rocks and have fluffy tails. Like dogs.

I hope that clears things up. :thumbsup:

Bats are the coolest things ever. Have you checked out their fingers???

11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I spent 16 hours to get a baby squirrel out of my place safely earlier this year.

MXR Bass Distortion does it for me.

diegom and BrentSimons like this.
  12. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    The Dunwich gives you 7 clipping diode options, which gives the pedal some range. I have one, and I like it. I'm a huge Dunwich fan. This would be my first choice, and it is ;)
    I had the Blower. It can do some nice low gain sounds, which some wouldn't expect. The bass knob can get the low end pretty big. The mids feel scooped, but the sound is pretty good if you like that sort of thing.
    I haven't tried the Fuzzrocious, but people love their stuff.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As long as it's Rat-based, it's all good. I'll also throw the MXR Bass Distortion at you, which is a simplified version of the Cat Tail (Ryan from Fuzzrocious designed it).

hintz likes this.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Totally dig your band. Killer stuff.

I agree with another post (ole Jason) that the subtle differences between these RAT-based pedals will be lost in a band mix. Any of them will do the job, but I would give the nod to the Blower Box because of the price.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    TB, always learning something new. Maybe because I live in Southern CA the squirrels never get cold enough to break in.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  17. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Dunwich for me.

18. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI

Apr 3, 2018
    I’m digging the band. A Rat style pedal will go really well with this mix, I think. I haven’t tried the Cog, but I own all three of the others and like all of them quite a bit. I guess between them, I’d say none of them need a clean blend (I have one on my Cat Tail but hardly use it) but the Blower Box has the strongest lows and is almost stupidly simple. The Cat Tail does the lo-fi indie sound much better than the other two, which sound a bit more metal to my ear; it also has a boatload of optional features and they’re all really cool and useable. The Volt Thrower and the Cat Tail have separate clipping controls for your highs and lows (the Volt Thrower’s are on internal trimpots) which are super handy; the Blower Box lacks those but honestly doesn’t really need them.

A Mosky Black Rat might also be worth checking out, it’s stupid cheap and sounds great on bass when set to LED “turbo” clipping.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    DeeDeeKing likes this.
  19. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I only have the Cat Tail out of the ones you mentioned, and it's pretty great. Pretty versatile once you get used to how to adjust everything. I got mine used, but if I were to get a new one, I'd get the extra clean blend feature for sure.

Your band is sick, and as others have said, in the mix it probably wont sound that different, since they're all basically based on the same design. Get whichever one you think sounds best based on demos, and if you arent totally satisfied, then resell it and try the next.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Forgot about the COG. I think that has their clean blend in it, which is a nice feature, and well executed if similar to the 66.

I did just snag a Damnation Loop Blend (Bloop) pedal. It mates nicely with the Volt Thrower. Worth considering for any dirt pedal. The pass filtered clean blend adds heft and articulation, and the phase switch is more useable than I would’ve expected.

DeeDeeKing likes this.