Idiotbox Holy Trooper fuzz - preorders

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Oct 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This is as basic as you can get and I love the graphic. Only $99, so I'm 99% sure I'll make it a holiday present for myself! Who else is going to take a chance?

Holy Trooper Fuzz

Holy+Trooper.png

zapped777 and Stevorebob like this.
  2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Nice. No controls at all besides on/off? I like the minimalism.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. Fuzzbass

According to the ad copy: "No knobs, no internal trim pots, no LED, no demo, no excuses. Have faith." :D

I decided to pull the trigger. Despite my TB ID I prefer OD/dist rather than fuzz so I'm keeping my expectations low. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Matt Dean and Korladis like this.
  4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Love me simple-control pedals. Don’t get much simpler. I’m in.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. Fuzzbass

IMG_20171109_164148.jpg

Came in today, and I've been playing with it for a half hour. As advertised, it's bare bones: instrument in, power in, effect out. No controls of any kind including internal trims (didn't open the pedal, but I assume it's true :)), no LED.

As for the tone -- it's really cool: synthy/square-wavy with a bit of extra sauce, nice balance of lows/mids/highs, sounds great from the highest register to down low on the B string. Sustains forever. It would be awesome for stuff like the bass break in "Dance to the Music". The huge caveat which presents a challenge for me is volume: the output boost is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could push a power amp. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I won't be able to use this live unless I use a 2nd pedal to bring volume within shouting distance of unity gain. Despite my TB handle I rarely use fuzz (I mostly play radio covers), so it could never be an always-on device for me.

To gig it, maybe I'll pair it with a compressor set to zero ratio (no compression needed for fuzz IMO) but plenty of output reduction. I suppose I could also pair it with a gentler OD pedal set for a similarly huge gain boost, and alternate the two... and keep my fingers crossed that the input stage on my amp won't be overdriven too much! Finally, I could use it as a Doomsday Device with my hard rock band: stomp on it if the guitarist gets too stupid with his volume.

Whatever happens, I have no regrets. I love the graphics including the new Idiotbox logo, and I'm happy to support AtariMatt because he's such a cool dude.

TL;DR: excellent one-dimensional fuzz pedal with huge output boost

CHILDISHGAMBINO and gregmon79 like this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Matt is the best! He is up with in the top few builders that are just straight, stand up dudes that go above and beyond for their customers. That goes such a long way for me. I have one coming eventually too. It just looked way too cool to pass up. I'm pretty excited about it. I hope I can make it work with my setup. That output volume could be great or bad for me with all my gain stages going on. So I really hope it can hang. We shall see. Thanks for the feedback @Fuzzbass ! Always a pleasure to hear what you have to said about a pedal.

7. Fuzzbass

Right back at ya, gm79! You and andrew and others here have given me invaluable info, assistance, and advice. :thumbsup:

zapped777, Matt Dean and gregmon79 like this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ah hell yeah, you are very welcome. And thank you right on back. Quite a few dudes on here that without them, I would still know nothing about the gear I have. I still have so much to learn but its about the journey, not the destination.

Matt Dean likes this.
  9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I always want fuzz pedals louder than my regular sound. For me that's kinda the point.

rjovin, zapped777 and gregmon79 like this.
  10. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    The dead space invader looks cool

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. So what's your favourite setting?

Fuzzbass, armybass, Slater and 4 others like this.
  12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    “On” :D

gregmon79 and rjovin like this.
  13. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I bought one of these for the Nov 3 shipping and have yet to get a tracking number. Cool to see other people getting them though. I can see why Matt chose to give the pedal a healthy boost. You can always tame it down. Better the extra volume is there, especially with bass fuzz.

I recently bought his new Superfuzz and he completely changed the circuit. It sounds nothing like the old model. that kinda made me sad.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Are there any audio clips of this pedal out somewhere?
    I'd LOVE to hear some as I like the no pot thing!

15. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    There's a short guitar demo on the IdiotBox page.

@Fuzzbass, is there like a subtle octave down happening with this thing? I sort of sounds like that on Matt's demo. I thought he was playing an organ through it at first. Is that the extra sauce? I love IdiotBox and Star Wars so I want this thing.

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes, I saw it.
    But is that only one pedal sounding in that clip?
    Thanks!

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  17. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    Sounds like two tracks at least.

18. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    I kind of wanna go for one of those idiot box cool waves bass fuzz ..... anyone tried one? The demo sounds nice, as does the Swanson

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    gregmon79 likes this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That#s what I am thinking. This makes the clip pretty useless to me. :(

20. Fuzzbass

My TB handle makes me a bit of impostor because I don't have a whole lot of experience with true fuzz... I use heavy dist (sometimes stacked) for my heaviest tones. Also, I have never owned a synth pedal or an octave down.

Disclaimers aside: I just did a quick A/B of Green Russian and Holy Trooper. Both have a lot of bottom, but in short, if the GR doesn't have octave down, then I don't think the HT does either. Apologies for the weak response, and also my inability to do soundclips. I'll have to fix that at some point.

gregmon79, zapped777 and Korladis like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021