Idiotbox Mystery Pedal 7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jschulman, Mar 8, 2019.

1. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Hi yall!

I recently learned about Idiotbox, a great little company out of Texas that makes some very cool bass-friendly FX pedals. I was intrigued especially by their series of Mystery Pedals, which have been progressively getting weirder and more interesting, so I bought #7.

It finally came last night and I got to try it out. It's definitely a delay pedal, and as far as I can tell the third knob adjusts the delay time, while the fifth knob adjusts the feedback. The fourth knob takes very little tweaking to get a cool spacey, feedback-y infinite delay going, and I'm able to get some nice reverb tones by keeping the time short and the feedback low. Aside from that I can't really nail down specifically what these knobs do.

I think there were only about 20 of these sold, but has anyone else here bought one of these? What do you think of it so far?

2. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2017
    The mystery pedal of the month thing is a fun idea. I love how even when you get it you aren't sure what it is. I guess using your ears is best, afterall.

3. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    It really is a cool idea. I've been playing with it as much as I can trying to figure out what it does. So far here's what I think:

Knob 1 - Detunes the delays up (right) or down (left)
    Knob 2 - ??
    Knob 3 - Delay time
    Knob 4 - Some kind of feedback that becomes infinite not far past 9:00
    Knob 5 - Feedback

I've still got a lot to figure out, but I'm working on it.

4. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    I have a few of their pedals... one of the older mystery effects (#2 I think, the green one with the question mark on it) and a Death Ray Frequency Mangler. I use the Death Ray on a few songs for my band, but haven't used the mystery on bass.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021