Idiotbox Tour Box!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I got a the Tour box from Idiotbox. At home. Where I'm not. It's killing me!! Haha I'm out of town but will be back tomorrow. I just wanted to start a thread in preparation for it.

I'll be testing these and reporting some findings here in the coming week and a half. The pedals included are as follows:

Landphil
    Power boost
    Static fuzz
    Whores fuzz

I'll be doing some sound samples and hopefully/maybe some YouTube vids. We'll see. But I can't wait to get home and really dig into them! I've had a static fuzz before but all the rest will he new to me. The landphil in particular will be the one im really interested in. It's an updated and ramped up version of a blower box for those of you who don't know.

More to come y'all!!

***Just an FYI, this is a thing that originated on ILF so I can't add anyone or send these to anyone that wasn't included in the original thread over there***

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'll have some more feedback on this today or tomorrow. Sorry about the stall. I've been on vacation last week and was VERY lazy haha. I wasn't even really playing all that much. I must've needed some time to sit on my butt and watch some TV....or at least that's what I'm telling myself ;)

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  3. Looking forward to your Landphil impressions. Do you have a BB to compare it to?

zapped777 likes this.
  4. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Man, that would have been cool to try out.

Can't wait for some clips!

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Pop over to ILF. I bet Matt would let other jump in. I don't see why he would care.

I'm up soon as well! :)

gregmon79 likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'm down for a jump in... :)

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    DISCLAIMER: I wasn't able to try these with my band. With the holiday here and vacations abound, we only had one show in the short time I had with these pedals. I just couldn't put any of these through a trial by fire at a show. So for what it's worth, these were my findings in a home setting.

I do have a BB to compare it to, yes. And I have been.

Overall, I like the Landphil and the Whores the most. The Power Boost is great too, just not something I would be particularly interested in these days since I already have a lot of boost happening in my chain already and the Fifth Gear is my go to if needed. The Static Fuzz is great too, but with the amount of gain staging I have in my chain, it doesn't work well for me. It's like an instant feedback machine. While that may be good in some cases, not good for me most times.

Landphil- this pedal seriously rips. It's just like the BB (it is a BB of course. Just with more tonal shaping) but it has the 3 extra EQ points. I was talking with @bassmusic17 about it and he said he thinks it could be whats called a rotatory EQ. Makes sense to me. But each of those 3 knobs is connected to each respective EQ and gain on the face. Then there is an internal trimmer for overall output of the pedal. Kinda like a boost if you will. Anyway, I was messing with it a lot last night and its pretty awesome the amount of sounds you can get out of it. The extra EQ goes a long way and this could be a winner for some who thought that the BB was too scooped for their tastes. The only thing I don't like about the Landphil, and I knew this when I realized it when I first saw it, the size. It's HUGE. And after looking inside, it could easily be cut in half. Easy. So for a guy like me that tries to fit as much as he can on a board, that's an issue. But for some it may not be. Other than that, its like a BB on steroids for the most part. I would like a Landphil someday but overall, I'm happy with my BB. I would buy one though if money and circumstances permitted.

Whores fuzz- At first, I'll admit, I was a tad underwhelmed. I guess I expected more. But after I played with it for a few more days, I realized how awesome this pedal is. That filter is really cool. I started seeing how much dynamics this one pedal could add to songs or parts you'd use it in. It also has an internal trim for the gate. It's a gated transistor based fuzz that again, rips. For being such a simple fuzz, the low end is rockin on it. This would be one of the pedals I would seriously consider buying. The switch on it changes the order of the filter and fuzz so it's like putting a cocked wah in front of or behind the fuzz. Is not having an exp out a downer? Eh, not so much. It doesn't bother me much. Overall, I like it. Has the potential to add a ton of dynamics to songs, low end is solid and it's a gnarly sounding fuzz. I think it would excel in the mix. Plenty of output on tap.

Power Boost: I can't say a ton about this one. Sorry. It's a boost. It can be a super clean boost or a dirty boost. It can be used an OD or even a dist almost. The EQ isn't all that powerful on it. It is effective. Just subtle. It’s a cool boost though. I think it’s better than your usual boost like a Micro Amp or the like. Much better than the EHX LPB1 or the like IMO.

Static Fuzz: This is a muffy based fuzz to me. It’s like a muff with a cool white noise generator. That white noise adds gain, girth and more scratchiness to the sound. It sounds really cool. I wish this pedal would’ve worked better for me. I used to have one when it was first released but the fact that it fed back so bad when I used it the way I set it, It became a fuzz I just couldn’t use. Not to say it’s not great, it is. To me, it’s a good muff pedal with some added goodies with that white noise knob. It changes the character of it in a pleasing yet mean and dirty way. It’s almost like a bias control or something like that. Def worth checking out if you’re on the market for a cool fuzz.

I’m gonna do my best to get some up before the week is over. It’s been hard for me to get them lately with my girls kids on summer break and her work schedule changed. I never get the house to myself anymore. That’s when I could really crank it and get some bumpin goin.

zapped777 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Finally got some "demos" done.

filler83, zapped777 and adamaarts like this.
  9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Are you on ILF? I'll vouch for you dude. You're good people.

Anyone that's well known to me or Greg out to try to get on. I don't think Matt would care either way. Adam is now included and I say the more the merrier!

gregmon79 and adamaarts like this.
  10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Awesome! I'm down and am a member of ILF... just not very active

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    :nailbiting:Were the demos THAT bad??

adamaarts likes this.
  12. Landphil sounds brutal. I feel like I'd need to play it side by side with the BB to know if I want it though.

Whores fuzz sounds much better than expected. I always thought of it as a "guitar pedal" for whatever reason. Definitely reconsidering that one.

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I wanted to wait until I got to a computer to listen on real speakers.

That Landphil is my kind of Fuzz! Sounds so tight and buzzy. Love it!

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Really, for the size of the blower box to the landphil, for me, the trade wouldn't be worth it. However, all the extra tonal shaping on the landphil can be make or break for some in the mix. That's huge for some. If I HAD to choose, I would choose the landphil just because it's more versatile and powerful. But that box kills it for me. I love those old huge type boxes too. But I just can't get them on my board.

I also felt that about the whores too. I kept hearing demos and was on the fence. But after playing it, it's the one I would most def buy at this point. Next to the landphil.

Matt said he had some other things he his sleeve in mind for the BB too so keep an eye out for that.

Dude it's gnarly. Those extra controls really let you disl it in. Or out. Whatever you'd need. They were more versatile than I originally thought. Plus, even with a FET boost modded into my BB, I felt the landphil had a lot more powerful output on tap. That comes in handy with the EQ and overall performance in a live mix. It's superior to the BB obviously. It's just huge!!!

Matt Dean likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021