Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idiotic question maybe about cab connections

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Leonin, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Leonin

Leonin

Jul 28, 2004
    My "problem" is that i only have 1 speaker output on my head (EBS Fafner grey) and i want to use a 1x15 and 4x10 cab. Is there any way to make this work? Or do I need to buy a new head?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    At least one of your cabs will most likely have 2 jacks on the back. Use speaker, not instrument, cables to go Amp -> Cab 1 -> Cab 2 -- this is called "daisy chaining" your cabs.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In the unlikely event that one of the cabinets doesn't have parallel jacks, a simple Y splitter will work just fine.

Be sure to verify that the final ohm load presented by the combined cabinets isn't lower than what is recommended for the head.

4. Leonin

Leonin

Jul 28, 2004
    Wow thanks for enlighten me. Is there any bad things about "daisy chaining" or the other solution?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The Y splitter would have to be made for speaker level signals, not instrument level. There is nothing bad about daisy chaining, it's standard. As Chasarms said, confirm that the combined speaker load doesn't go below the minimum load rating on your head. 8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4 ohms is the most common load configuration.

6. Leonin

Leonin

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks everyone. :hyper: