1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

idiot's guide to bass vs bass for dummies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dreday, Nov 2, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    gunna start working on theory, if anyones tried either one of these, which is better , or if you have a better suggestion
    greatly appreciated

2. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Kind of depends on what you know now and what your goals are. There are some great theory books out there. Some jazz-centric, others not. Some of the best aren't even base oriented. Good stuff online as well. If you give some more info, I'm sure you'll get better recommendations.

3. hail

hail

Nov 7, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    I never recommend learning theory specific to an instrument (though a piano will be an invaluable tool). The literature is very limited and you're gonna want to learn basic sheet and do ear training.

While a bass book might help you apply those lessons to your instrument, I'd stick to theory in its pure form. Really, any theory book your local colleges recommend or require would do great, and taking a course at the local CC would benefit you a lot if it's possible if you're daunted by the vastness of the concept.

Ultimately, the main things you need to worry about are intervals, tension, and resolution, and once you have those down the rest of theory is just kind of applying and expanding upon those. If you know your note names, know how to build chords and how to use them together, you're basically done with theory short of fleshing those concepts out and learning them to death.

Taking a broad view of theory will also help you apply yourself to other instruments, especially piano and voice, and it won't get you stuck in the rut of scales. When you're looking at an instrument like the bass, it's easy to be caught on linear patterns, but breaking free of that line of thought will unlock all the things that people will attest to theory 'showing' them.

It's not an overnight thing, and it's not something that will unlock all the secrets of music, but I'd say if you want to take the big step into theory, you may as well go all-out and make it worth your while.

4. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011