Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idiot's Guide to Effects???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Looking to get deeper into understanding exactly what happens when i use differant effects, if you know what i mean, im thinkin of a book that is like an Idiots Guide, if you've ever heard of them. Just a jump off point to diving deeper into understanding and applying effects, i hope im making sense and everyone gets the point :/

But if any of you guys have any suggestions of books or websites, preferably books, post 'em up!

and i will be greatly appreciative :-D

Thanks, Nate

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I like to hear samples of what an effect does rather than read about them.

Some manufacturers have samples of effect pedals that you can listen to.
    Boss Pedals - www.rolandus.com
    Digitech - www.digitech.com

Some online retailers also have samples of effects. For example you can listen to additional samples of Boss pedals on www.musiciansfriend.com under the description of each pedal. They also have samples of other effects.

The coolest site I have seen for online effect samples is buzzfox:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buzzfox/

You actually choose the settings (through online knobs) for a particular pedal and then play the sample.
    Most of the effects are for guitar but you can get the idea of what an effect does by changing the settings.

3. hey man, im kinda lookin for a book or somthing that goes way in depth of what differant effects do to the sound waves... the deep technical stuff if you catch my drift, but thanks, i too love hearin samples and such

thanks!

nate

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Can you get your hands on an oscilloscope (sp)? Then you could see for yourself what different effects do on a waveform level. Just a suggestion...