1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

idiots rule (vick related idiocy)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
  2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    :rollno:
    what an idiot.......
    has anyone seen the hbo real sports with bryant gumbel about dogfighting? absolutely heartbreaking; especially the scenes where they show a puppy who was taken from his owner, had its hip intentionally broken, and then had to fight; or one where a dog was taken from an owner, had its mouth taped shut and was forced to fight; you know, becuase its so similar to hunting or any other sport :scowl: .

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I just don't understand how incredibly stupid people make so much money

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Um, wow...

5. Dog fighting is a sport just like cock fighting. :bag:

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

It would be if it was just owners whipping out their, um, dogs to see who's is bigger...

That's what cock fighting is, right? Whipping it out to see who's is bigger?

7. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    woah, stupid stupid, but I have to admit, I personally would put dog fighting on the same moral level as fox hunting in England. I know a lot of you guys like to hunt and I respect your choice, but fox hunting is just something I can't deal with... me and some friends used to pedal the fields in the dark when I was a little kid to throw off the dogs.

8. Another rocket scientist that persued a career in the NBA :p

Poor Vick, we build him up then we tear him down :( He FELL into some bad situations..........[​IMG]

9. So that was YOU?? :mad: :p I really don't see the connection between hunting and dog fighting. But then again, I'm a hunter. People have hunted since the begining of time. I kill my prey quicker than a slaughter house kills a cow. IMHO if you eat meat you should be able to look it in the eye before you kill it.

10. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Aging Former Bass Player
    Fox hunting... I repeat, fox hunting... it's horrific... what you guys do is something different... ironically later in life I dated a girl who was a member of the British Equestrian team, and had participated in hunts and was blooded at 11 years old... she was a vegetarian but was able to watch a pack of dogs tear a fox to pieces... but if Harvey Smith whipped a horse you had to hold her back from tearing him apart, she actually hated the guy for his treatment of horses... weird...

11. I understand. Many people in Florida hunt hogs like that. We hunt hogs with dogs also but only use them to drive the hog into a trailer cage. There's very little dog/hog interaction. Just a bunch of snorting, squeeling and barking from a distance, LOL!!! Maybe a nip once in a while but we love our dogs and don't want them cut up.

12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That's barbaric...barbaric! barbaric...

13. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Aging Former Bass Player
    wow, I woulda thought a hog could mess up a hound real bad? Or is it just over powered with numbers?

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    [​IMG]

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Because he's tall and can throw a ball into a hoop.

Also, look at Flavor Flav.

16. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I hear Flav is good at many instruments.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Ugh, I should edit this out.

Fine, my new reply: Still doesn't change the fact that he is an immense idiot.

18. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    According to his wiki besides rapping he plays piano, guitar, bass, saxophone, and drums

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You know him personally? Or your are just saying that because it's "cool" to say? On what you base your observation? Examiner?

You guys can pretend you know everything and never say anything stupid all you want... All I see in that video is a person who said something extremely stupid due to lack of knowledge... I can use a search engine here at TB to pull up completely ignorant statements from any and every one of you. Including myself. Everyone gets it wrong sometimes. He didn't do anything criminal, he is just wrong in his statement and lack of knowelage at topic in hand... He shouldn't have said what he said but that goes to everyone on earth at one point of their lives or another. That's all...

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm not trying to start a flame war, but what is it about dogfighting that we find so abhorrent?

Believe me, I am a dog lover and the idea of dogfighting creates a visceral reaction for me. And yet hunting doesn't bother me. I've been pheasant hunting, but not deer hunting, though I doubt it would be all that different.

In dogfighting, animals may be killed, but in hunting they almost surely are. Disregarding the legality of one and the criminal nature of the other, what is it that makes our perception of the two so different?

Is it our attachment to dogs above nearly all other animals?
    Is it the sadistic attitude of people involved in dogfighting?
    Is it that we eat the animals we hunt but don't eat dogs?
    Or is it something else?

I've been trying to figure that out since the charges against Vick became public.