1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

idle hands project...fail

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Jun 6, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    here we are at the beginning of garage warrior season and i present a challenge: at some point this summer you will (hopefully) find yourself with a few hours of absolutely free time. what can you put together, with what you have, from concept to "pencils down, stop working" in, oh, 3 hours. maybe its a minicab for easy jams, or it fills another niche you'd never really seek to fill, but have thought of. here's mine from a couple years ago. i had an old 10 watt combo amp literally molding away in the basement, and a dead lead 12 (1x10) combo in not much better shape. i had an old box made from pine that i used for a shelf. i had scrap wood. i had beers. i had time. overall, fail. but way fun, it still works, and if my son (whose room its in) kills it, so what. from idea to playing it as it sits, about 3 hours. anyone got baaaad project pics?

Attached Files:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I like the simplicity of the amp....and the speaker.....and the fishnets that just might be big enough to be an actual fishnet....

Overall, I say.." not fail......cool.."

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't have a pic of it and it doesn't exist anymore but my drummer and I once made a "vocal wedge" consisting of a Black Widow in a wedge-shaped contraption because Black Widows are good and, well, all those wedges look like, well, wedges. I think we even cut a couple holes in it to "let the bass out",...although plenty leaked out due to shoddy construction. I think we used it twice before figuring "it sucked".:D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Better than I could do. At least you have that going for you. I like it.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    well summer is over, and since this thread didn't really get much attention, i thought i'd bring it back and pose the same question. anybody goof off this summer with a build that was either doomed from the beginning, or done just to kill time? let's see your junk project pics. mine still works, and my little man actually uses it (with a microphone) once in a while. or, maybe somebody could take up the challenge of using ONLY what is in the house right now, buying nothing (except maybe a bag or beers), and see what you end up with. trash picking is acceptable in this challenge, too. the goal is no new money invested in it. turn a beat combo into a mini stack? make that ancient stereo into a working guitar or bass amp? turn an old footlocker into a cab? whatevs.

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Super-Lightweight cab.
    Top, bottom and seam ported.
    Specially designed driver eliminates problems caused by ultra low frequencies.
    Built out of scrap material in about 15 minutes.

Entry.jpg

7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Top, bottom, and seam ported... Pure genius! :D

8. What you mean is you produce 1 of a kind sonic masterpieces in half the time of most boutique shops. You just need a cool logo now.

9. I did these at different times.
    Sry bout some of the pics.

practiceamp.jpg

racks.jpg

pedal1.jpg

pedal2.jpg

newmomark.jpg

1227102057.jpg
    markrack.jpg
    1031101252.jpg

emptyrack.jpg
    rack-1.jpg

10. Looks cool.
    I've built a cuppla cabs a while ago, but had help from a cabinet maker buddy.
    The things I build fall apart before I can get a pic

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Well...if we're going to post projects that aren't "fails", here are some rack boxes built (for the most part) out of scrap:

4SpacewTrim.jpg

BassAmpRack.jpg

CompleteClosed.jpg

CompleteOpen2.jpg

12. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I dont see any fail, just some sool projects. :D

What I did on My summer vacation....

Both of these were projects that I had put off for a while, but finally got off My duff and got'em done.

SVT 7 Pro headcase
    SVT7Procase.jpg

SVT7Procase2.jpg

Modded this Jaguar
    RedJagBass.jpg

Also, I started on a fEARful 15/6 tube, but haven't gotten around to taking any photo's of the progress...

13. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Very cool!
    wcriley, Do You have any T/S parameters for the driver, frequency plots for this design, and are You gonna offer the enclosure plans online? ;)

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Not releasing the plans or specs, but I'm willing to license the Criley-Core technology.

15. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome! :D

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    How many beers does it hold, and how long do they stay cold for?

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    That falls under the heading of "Proprietary Information".
    I will disclose that 6 or 8 beers were consumed just prior to the intial design phase.

18. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    And then, how many DURING the design phase? :D

19. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I don't remember much about that phase.

20. jHawk Customs