1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IE Oxide help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by meursault42, Jan 20, 2012.

1. meursault42

meursault42 Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006

Do other people get this kind of thing happening with the IE Oxide? I'm referring specifically to the kind of phasing that happens after the attack.

Signal Chain: Fender Pbass --> IE Oxide --> EMU 0404USB --> Cubase

Oxide settings:
    EQ: full CW
    Morph: 12:00
    Drive: 12:00
    Fuzz: 9:00
    Clean: 9:00
    Voice: Down
    Strangle: Down

Boss 9V center negative adapter.

Also, on mine when I turn either the Morph or the Drive knobs near or at full CCW, the sound just drops out altogether. I'm assuming this must be an input gain thing since I'm using a passive bass. But my Pbass is still pretty high output, so I was surprised that the gate could actually choke the sound off completely.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    I don't have speakers here at work so i haven't listened to your sample, but try turning down the volume on your bass. I was bothered after i first got my oxide by some things that were going on as soon as the note would pass the attack/decay point.
    Easing up on the instrument volume solved my problem.

3. Sounds pretty normal to me.

4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I hear it, surprised Fettbass doesn't hear it also. Not that I can offer any help but it's definitely compressing the signal at the attack.

5. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Do you also use an Oxide?

6. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Nope, sorry. My initial thought after hearing the sound file was that maybe the output was too hot from your bass, but then you go on to say that the gated portion of the morph knob chokes off your signal completely seems to indicate that's not the issue. No clue, sorry.

7. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    If the Morph knob is fully CCW it chokes out everything but a fuzzy sputterbuzz for me too. I think that's normal. This pedal does not shy away from extremes. :)

Also keep in mind that the morph is controlling not only a gate but the duty cycle for your squared-off waveform. At its extremes i imagine its reduced to nothing more than a thin pulse.

8. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Any idea about the kind of phase sound that happens immediately following the attack? Perhaps it's just an overtone thing coming from my bass? I did notice that rolling off the tone to almost dub territory mitigates that effect to a degree.

9. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Nevermind! Just got a PM from Taylor. Now that's product support ladies and gents! :)

10. I'd be interested to hear what Taylor's feedback was, if you'd care to share it.

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Basically, when you turn the drive knob up very high, you can get some phasey effects because the harmonics of the signal are rolling through the zero crossing and getting amplified selectively. This can create some pretty unique synth settings, but if you want to minimize it you just need to turn down the drive control. Turning down Drive is equivalent to turning down your bass's volume, but better, since you're not effecting signal-noise ratio or bypass volume.

Regarding the Morph knob, think about it as turning up the threshold on a noise gate when you turn the control counter-clockwise. As you turn it down, it takes a larger signal to open the gate. If you turn it down all the way, it's possible that the threshold is above the output level of your instrument. Since people use the Oxide with a variety of instruments, it has this extra range so that it can still gate heavily with synthesizers, etc. For bass, I tend to keep Morph at around 9-o'clock and Drive fairly high.

12. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ^ What he said ;)

13. Cool, thanks!

14. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm definitely starting to get a little more of a sense for where this effect might begin to grow some roots on my board. It's admittedly a bit different than I expected. But then again, isn't that the way it goes with just about everything?

I paired it up with my octave pedal and instantly got some great results. When I get my envelope filter back from the shop, I'm sure there will be much fun to be had there as well.

I also like how I'm able to just leave my light OD engaged (in front of the oxide mind you) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can just snap the Oxide on to make ears bleed momentarily, then go directly back to the polite OD.

I've gotta say that having a builder like Taylor who is so engaged with his products and the end users really makes me WANT to explore the potential uses of this pedal so much more.

15. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Pair her with a Xerograph Deluxe and a third testicle will drop.

16. meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ...herein lies the secret reason why any dude picks up a bass guitar in the first place.

17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had the same "issue" with mine when I got it, as I was cranking the Drive based on the settings that many on here were posting. It didn't take me long to figure out that I preferred the less compressed attack and tone of the Drive knob around 11 o'clock or less. Awesome pedal!