1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

IEM noob query

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by herbygardener, Mar 7, 2021.

1. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Hey all,
    Brain picking time...
    I don't like being 'tethered' when playing or practicing and have been using a G30 wireless for my basses for years. We have been trying out 'silent/quiet rehersals' lately and I'm not digging the wired headphones, sound is great but the cord, not so much...
    I've been researching IEM setups, am feeling a little overwhelmed and am looking for some basic guidance...
    Current setup is intruments/mic(s) into Yorkville PGM8 passive mixer, phones out into Ammoon AHA04 headphone amp and wearing Sennheiser HD 202 cans...am happy with all but being tied with the phones so am looking for wireless and understand that an IEM setup would be preferable to bluetooth headphones due to latency issues. Is there a system that I could basically connect to where my phones currently connect that could work? Is there a concern with interference with the G30?
    I'm open to suggestions that would be suitable for us weekend warrior types that don't want to break the bank but want good sound.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers

DJ Bebop and Low Down Brown like this.
  2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Your G30 works in the 2.4GHz portion of the spectrum so it’s more likely to have interference from devices operating in that range (eg, WiFi).

Wireless IEMs generally operate in another part of the spectrum (E.g. 502 MHz).

How you route the signal from your board to your IEMs is a whole other technical problem. Wireless IEM units have their own preamps built in so it’s unlikely you’ll want to use anything but an AUX out feed from your mixer. Do you want a mono or stereo feed into your IEMs?

herbygardener and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    You could certainly just hook IEMs exactly as you are your headphones now and it will work the same.
    You can use the headphone out if you are the only one using it because it will be really hot, so you'll have to turn it down, or you can find other outputs- Aux, main, sub, control room etc. Basically any outputs that give you what you are looking for.

DirtDog likes this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Auxes are what IEMs were designed to run from, and used in 99% of situations.

DirtDog likes this.
  5. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Thanks for that info folks, definitely clears a bit of the mud.
    I think I'd be fine w/ a mono feed, pretty sure that's the way it's setup now.

6. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    So I could leave the setup as is for everyone else's phones and run a 'monitor out' from the mixer into an IEM transmitter for me?
    Any recommendations for 'starter level' IEMs?

steveksux and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Yup, a monitor out (aux) is traditional. Make sure it's set pre fader. I usually run mine mono. One country band I mix uses 8 stereo feeds, which is great if you have 16 aux busses!! (I do, most don't)
    IEM's on the market follow the same principles as everything else. You get what you pay for. Spend as much as you are comfortable with. Shortly you will want better buds than what come with your setup, so prepare to add $300 in a little while, and then ANOTHER $300 if you want to go custom fitted.

s0c9 and herbygardener like this.
  8. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    These are my mixer 'out' options as well as XLR main outs Lt&Rt...if that helps.
    16151425232126608148417871309856.jpg
    Cheers!

9. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Thanks, that's very helpful!
    Cheers!

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Is the whole band sharing that monitor out? If so you may not get the mix you like, since it will pretty much be vocals. You may want to use a small separate mixer, grab the existing monitor mix (or even you main mix) in one channel, and your bass in another, and blend as desired.

herbygardener likes this.
  11. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    That's probably a great way to be sure I can hear the bass.
    We have all been sharing one out in our jam space, there it's a Yamaha stagepass PA instead of my Yorkville mixer...the mix we've had there has been good with my bass, e-drums, guitar, vocals and some keys.
    This mixer/setup is in my home room and hasn't had the full band test yet.

12. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    My issue using IEM for rehearsals is that the transmitter eats 9v batteries pretty quickly. Your mileage may vary. I stay wired for rehearsals and save the wireless IEM for gigs.

herbygardener and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I use wireless iems all the time for gigs. The receiver goes through a pair of AA batteries over the course of three hours. At gigs I change batteries halfway through so they don’t die on me mid-song. I use a Shure PSM-300 system with the metal P3RA body pack receiver. It’s more pricey than an entry level setup but it really works and sounds great.

steveksux, herbygardener and BEADG63 like this.
  14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Is that a passive or powered mixer?

15. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    That's a passive mixer.

DirtDog likes this.
  16. FatherTrucker

FatherTrucker

Jun 9, 2017
    WI
    Rechargeables! I have those Amazon basics rechargable batteries for my IEM pack and wireless transmitter for my bass. $30 investment up front and haven't bought batteries in 2 years.

17. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Agreed! I use eneloop rechargables in my G30 and have no complaints!

FatherTrucker likes this.
  18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I use this mono unit and it works fine. USB rechargeable.

DA8EFEFF-6239-4B3A-A10F-5353A5F761CC.jpeg

19. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    I've read good things about these but have concern that it operates in the same 2.4GHz range as my G30 wireless for my bass...beyond my area of expertise so will have to delve further.
    Cheers!

20. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Just out of interest I use a Line 6 G55 wireless for the bass and have had no issues.

The G55 though goes a lot further than the XVive distance wise.

herbygardener likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021