1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IEM on the Cheap - the next thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicman7722, Oct 21, 2007.

1. First off thanks to PeteBass for starting this thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286131

I have decided to start a new one with my exp. as they have taken his and gone in a different direction as Petebass only uses his bass through his headphones. A quick overview is the discovery by him of a great set of headphones made by Seinheiser called CV300b. These are a soft headphone that sit in your ear and give almost 100% isolation to the sounds around you. I have used these for two gigs now and there is no ear fatique. Not phyisically from having them in the ear or from the volume. The best part about these is their price. $80 US. Oh they handle my 5 stringer easily.

I have been running my bass and a dedicated monitor mix from FOH. We are a 5 peice band with a drummer who uses the Yamaha electronics. These phones are so good I don't need an amp. I still use it for the rest of the band.

One interesting side effect I have discovered is when I sing. I don't sing many leads but I do alot of harmonies. When I would sing my voice would sound muffled while all the other singers voices sounded natural and crystal clear. So I figured the sound tech had not tweaked my voice. I went to the board during break and saw it was identical to the male lead singers voice. During one song when he was off stage I sang harmonies through his mike and the same muffled quality. After reflecting on this and talking to our sound tech I came to the conclusion that I was hearing my voice resonating off my skull. I guess the fact that the earplugs have sealed my ear cavity caused my voice to sound different to me. Once I realized this I tried to ignore how I sounded whan I sang and dealt with the audio quality.

For my IEM I use an inexpensive Behringer 4 channel mixer. I run my bass into 1 channel and monitor mix in another. I think next gig I will split my mike on stage and put this into the third channel in my mixer and see if I can overcome the muffled sound via a better eq.

Now on the other hand the rest of the band and my bass was just great and with my own dedicated monitor mix I was in heaven. My sound tech is allowing me to tweak the monitor send as I like it during the breaks. :bassist:

Chris P.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's exactly what it is. Is there a way to get your mic only on a separate channel of the headphone amp so you can run it just a little bit louder in your earphones without affecting the PA mix? Perhaps run your mic through a splitter?

3. Peter, there is an easy way and I've used it in the past. For around $30 you can get a passive mike splitter. Art makes a unit called "split Com". Nice little box. Plug your vocal mike into it and it splits it into 2 sends. 1 to the snake and 1 to your personal mixer, and on the mixer you can dial in the higher end for the information you need. I also placed a BBE sonic maximixer on mine and it really sweetened up the exp.. I've done this in the studio with the CX300's and it was very nice.

Actually you should really invest in a small 4 channel mixer. Very small foot print and you have the ablility to adjust the tonality of your channels. I find I need to roll some lows on the bass off and bring up the mids a little bit.

Chris P.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I was trying to help you solve your vocals problem. I'm happy....I don't need a mixer or a splitter. The Samson S-monitor I'm using already has those features. One channel for the bass, another for a mic, and both split the signal to send it through to the desk/amp,whatever.

It doesn't have EQ though, so I'm running through a Boss EQ20 equaliser I had lying around doing nothing. I'm also rolling off some lows (I can't believe how well the CX 300's handle bass for such an inexpensive unit) and boosting mids. For reference, when I use my Westone UM2's, I don't roll off the lows at all, and actually have to cut mids. So both need tweaking for best results, but the CX300's are by far the better value for money.

5. I'm curious then how do you hear the rest of the band and the monitors? These plugs do such a great job at sealing out the world. Does it just trickle through enough for you to hear?

I did try to loosen up one plug in the ear closest to my amp. It was a great mix of sounds but I felt the plug would fall out so didn't exp. to much. i will keep trying. Chris P.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep I can hear the band well enough as is on most stages, provided they're not too big. That's how the whole IEM thing came about for me. I think of IEM as earplugs that let you feed a little bit of what you want to hear more clearly.

It's a loudish band, and we work 3-6 times a week so hearing protection is the primary objective. I'm usually standing right next to the drum kit, the large FOH PA, and the singer's foldback wedges, and I'm not too far from the guitar amp. So they're all audible even with the IEM's in my ears. I don't want to expose my naked ears to that sort of SPL several times a week. I did that for too long already.........

If the ambient stage SPL is low, (as it would be in your case with electric drums), then a signal feed of the rest of the band becomes more important.

7. Greetings: I played a big wedding this weekend and the band was on a corner stage that was very tight. I used the IEM as mentioned in this thread. I finally made a little junction box that I tape to my guitar strap like a wireless. I can plug my headphones with ther little miniplug in the tope and the bottom takes a standard 1/4 jack. I wired the miniplug in the box in mono so I could use a standard speaker cable which is mono. On one end of the that speaker cable I used a stereo 1/4: plug that I wired in mono as well. So I can plug this end into the headphone out of my mixer and then use standard plugs and jacks. No mini to 1/4" adapters and for the first time I had no crackles or temporay shorts with a loss of signal.

Again for those that heaven't followed this thread I use a small 4 channel Behringer mixer for my IEM. I get a dedicated monitor mix from FOH which goes into channel 1, channel 2 is a split of my vocal mike so I can add the treble needed to offset the muted sound of my own voice singing with sealed headphones. Channel 3 is my 5 string bass (the b is greatttttt) and finally channel 4 is a send off my drummers Electronic Yamaha kit. The drums sound so good in these that he may go this route as well.

Well to finish my point when the wedding was over I drove home the guitar player and he was telling how loud and bad the stage sound was due to the corner. I was shocked, none of this had come through my monitors. So I obviusly had the best seat in the house and I had no ear ringing.

I'm going to order up a Nady P500 IEM unit this week and try it out. Later...Chris P

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Before you buy anything, see if you can get a product that uses AA batteries in the belt-pack instead of 9V. Those 9V get chewed up quickly, which is annoying on 2 fronts - one is obviously money, but the other even more annoying aspect is running out of battery often and at the worst possible time.

I'm glad to hear the IEM thing is working as beautifully for you as it is for me!