1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IEM Replacements??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Nov 30, 2006.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm in need of a Christmas gift or two...

I just got a T.E. head (from Q-Z), and my Aggy/QSC/A-G rig is the sickest thing just about in the world, so I'm good there; just bought a FullTone Bass Drive; nothing plays or sounds like my Dingwall; and, now that I'm playing at church more, I'm stuck to IEMs...

So, I figure a nice replacement and/or molded set would be nice.

-----

We are using the (not that it really matters) Sennheiser EW300-IEM G2 transmitters (which cost a lot, so I'm assuming are nice!), and they've got the stock ear buds.
    Because the church spent so much dang money on them (while I wasn't playing), and it was to basically eliminate stage noise (although now the remaining monitors just get CRANKED and blow my old bass combo out of the water compared to how loud it was, so it's actually louder on stage and in the front 10 rows- go figure), I get bent over with the "No, you can't even turn ON the amp anymore" schtick, so, I figured might as well join' em if you can't beat 'em...

The stock buds are ok, but, just gonna be honest in no way cut it.
    I have some decent Sennheiser ones that I use for my iPod, but I brought them once and now I think they're blown, so no more of those...

I've been recommended:

Shure E3
    Shure E4
    Shure E5

Anything by Ultimate Ears

The guys at HearYourself.com, the C1000 model

Futuresonics

...to name a few.

-----------

Maybe this is something to add to the FAQ's? Comprehensive IEM research, both for units and ear buds?

Mods move this if it doesn't belong in Amps, but I didn't think it went to Effects or Recording, so I'm here! :)

----------

I did a search and just found talk about the units themselves, as opposed to the actual earpieces, but feel free to link me if I missed something.

I'm trying to keep it between $200-300 if possible, so let 'em fly! :)

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Many people (including myself) have had hard times getting adequate low-end response from E3's, but E4's and E5's are great.

I've used Super.fi 5 Pro's and they're pretty good.

Another canalphone i'd recommend are the Westone UM1(lower than your target) and UM2 (closer to the bottom of your price range), both are great in their price ranges and very comfortable, while giving great sound quality.

the new Bose IE Triports (Cheaper) are extremely great for the bass guitar freq range but provide zero isolation, so I wouldn't recomend them for on-stage use.

and then you have the spankin new V-moda line-up that has been getting a positive response from the head-fi community but arent necessarily made for musicians.

I'd personally get the Westone UM2's over the Shures and SUper.fi's but all are good choices.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Are the Westone's available to get custom-fitted molds made and attached to the IEM? Also is it a 1 or 2 driver setup?

I've been looking around and the U-E 5 Pro-EB's seem pretty nice, and are dual driver-equipped, under $200...

U-E has some cool stuff on their site, but man oh man expensive!

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    bump?

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hey rsb, sorry about that, school's going crazy for me.

but yes, check it out:

http://www.westone.com/music/universal.html#um56

they do have custom molds availible for the UM1 and UM@, the UM1 is single driver, UM 2 is dual driver AFAIK.

I actually didnt know about their ES series which seem to be more focused for custom jobs. I've only used the UM series, and I highly recommend them. Haven't used custom molds for them though.

as for UE's super.fi lineup, i havent heard of anyone using custom molds on those, but i found the mid sized silicone sleeve to be comfortable, just much preferred the sound of the westones, which are very comfortable to my ears without any custom molds, comfortable to sleep on my side without noticing/getting bothered.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Sweet man, thanks for the input...

I've been reading up on the super.fi 5 Pro and the Shure E3c's a lot today, as those are more in my range.

The UM1 will definitely be something I'll want to check out this weekend though.

Reason I don't want to go all-out just yet is if we start touring here in Jan/Feb, we more than likely won't have to pay for EVERYthing at full price.
    So if we go IEM and can get some deals, I'd rather not spend $500-900 of my own hard-earned money when a sponsorship or whatever can... ;)

But I have decided I want something that's at least custom-replaceable, as that doesn't cost as much as the benefit of having it solid in your ear provides.