1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IEM Shootout Atrio vs CX300-B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicman7722, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I've been using a Shure PSM200 IEM unit for about a year and all that time I've used the Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds. They did a good job on the 5 string bass, very good actually and the price being under $100 was great. Well I had one on going issue in the fact that my voice was always muddied and no matter what I did to it EQ wise it didn't change. Mind you all the voices of the rest of the band in my monitor mix were great, clear as a bell. I chalked that up to the ear being sealed and the head cavity echoing.

Well just for a lark I ordered up a set of Future Sonics "Atrio M5". I believe these are their into level pro model with 2 drivers. Wow I didn't know what I was missing. The bass sound is as good as the CX300's but everything else is crystal clear including my singing voice. I mean I can hear my voice clear as day and the EQ that I have going into my PSM200 works wonderful. A little reverb to fatten it up and I'll be happy about singing again.

So I wanted to pass on my results with these earphones. I have a gig this weekend and will report back.

I think that with more of us using IEM it would be good to get some hard information up here from users to share with those that are interested.

For the record I have a dedicated monitor mix from FOH which goes into a 15 channel EQ whigh in turn goes into one channel of the Shure. The FX Loop Out on my Acoustic B200H goes to the other side of the graphic and then into the other channel of the Shure.

Cheers CP

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't sing so I'll stick with my CX-300's. Out of curiosity, how much were the M5's?

3. Hi Pete, hey your quick on this one.

The Atrio's retail for $200 USd and I got them on ebay for $179 shipped.

All in all a worthy investment.

I really noticed a diff on the bass as well.

CP

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's not too bad, but it's still double the price of the Sennheisers......

5. triple over here. i picked up a backup set on Amazon for less than $60.

BUEt much less than say a set of Shure SC5's

Hey what is your rechargable battery scheme you mentioned in another IEM thread?

CP

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mate in the end it was a lot of experimenting for not a lot of variation between batteries. Sure some last longer than others, but only when they're new, and only by a bit. So I've decided not to bother trying to get more than 2 x 45 sets out of each battery. All of the batteries I tried, even the cheap ones, manage this easily, with some time in reserve if one of those sets go longer for whatever reason. As long as I remember to change the battery after the second set, I'm sweet for the whole gig.

7. So rechargable batteries hold a charge long enough for at least 1 set?

I use a wirelss for my bass and another for my IEM so I using 2 a night. Adds up.

maybe I'll give it a shot.

CP

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Easily. My Sennheiser IEM system is old and chews batteries quicker then the Shure systems used by the other band members. You probably find you get even better battery life from rechargables than I do. Go for it!