IEM: T.Bone IEM200 vs. Shure PSM 300 Premium

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by el murdoque, Jul 12, 2020.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I guess it's an off chance, but maybe one of you has had the chance of comparing those two systems.
    I run the T.bone right now, but could 'upgrade' to a PSM300 Premium.
    This would mean for my band setup that we can get away with one 19" rack less and run our cable setup somewhat easier and cleaner which will reduce rig up and tear down times by a significant amount.

Swapping units would set me back for about four hundred bucks, though.
    I often have a bit of, well noise, on the bass signal. This varies, and I can toy around with the frequency of the transmitter to make it better or worse, but it seems like it's a rare occasion that I reach a 100% noise free connection and mostly settle for 80%, where the ends of the spectrum are a bit fuzzy around the edges. The only bummer is that bass is right on the end of the spectrum most of the time.

Could I expect things to get significantly better with the Shure unit?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    never heard of T.bone, i guess that's not a thing here in the states. (it looks like it's only available between 600MHz and 800MHz, so not legal over here anyway)

the shure is pretty nice, but i wonder if your noise issues are more about things like physical interference, like having the transmitter antenna too low or too close to something else in the rack.

s0c9 likes this.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    So I was able to try it A/B.

The conclusion:
    There are some advantages to the Shure unit. When both units are set to the best possible frequency, the Shure is maybe a tiny little margin more brilliant and it feels that you can distinguish a bit better between the different sources. However, the connection between the Shure units and the T.bone units happens to be where the money went. First of all, it's a tedious process to set a new frequency on the T.bone and when you run into trouble with frequencies, you're better off when you're not in a hurry. And to top that off, every room I've been in has had some weak spots where the signal does not cut off, but interference noise
    The Shure has that marvelous sync system where it scans the room for interference and sets itself to the best frequency automatically.

4. Not familure with the tbone either I just got a psm300 system for the new band I joined and im pretty impressed with it so far

5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    There's a LOT of missing info here...
    • What ear buds are you using?
    • Are you running in mono or stereo?
    • What is your monitor source?
    • What do you mean by "best possible frequency"? Frequenzen
    • Do you have your IEM feeds gain-staged correctly?
    All of the above can have a MAJOR impact on what you hear in your ears... none of which may be due to the wireless system itself!

musicman7722 likes this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My feed goes as follows:
    From my Ibanez BTB 686sc into a Headrush Gigboard (compression, SVT, 810 cab, [email protected]) into a Behringer X-Air 18. The output goes to the IEM sending unit to my receiver, Shure SE535ltd earbuds with custom molds.
    The X-Air 18 has a limiter in theory, but since my own compression is set to peak limiting and has a lower threshold, this limiter is never touched. All the gains are set properly.

By 'best possible frequency' I mean that sometimes when you rig up in a place, the set frequency (between the sender and receiver) just won't work well. Noise, dead spots in the room and a bad audio quality are the result.
    Then you go up or down a few clicks, both on the sender and the receiver and try again, until you find one that's better.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    So... shure has a frequency finder. NOt sure how it works in Europe, but in the US the FCC maintains a database of all radio/tv stations and their broadcast frequencies. We SHARE that spectrum.
    Shure provides it's IEM devices in a number of different frequency "bands" (See the link in my sig for US models).
    The US finder lets you enter location (zip code) and returns the best model and a list of open channels in that models frequency range.
    So.. if you pick the WRONG model for your area, you will get nothing but "noise, dead spots and bad audio quality" because your signal is being suppressed, interfered with and stomped on by a local TV station.
    That may be the root cause of your problem.
    Again, not in Europe, so not sure if the same "rules" apply there.

IIRC - the PSM300 will autoscan and choose the best open frequency it can find at a venue?

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    There are a few frequency bands reserved for applications like these. It's a bit more complicated here.
    You can actually buy a licence for certain frequencies, which is sometimes done with microphones.

The frequency bands IEM operates on are free to use. AFAIK this is not exclusive to IEM, so you can encounter venues that have interference somewhere in that band, caused by devices using a frequency too close to the one you set on your IEM.

You did read correctly. With the Shure PSM300 you just hold your receiver close to the sender, they link via IR and scan the room, choosing the frequency with the lowest noise level.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. Based onn some reviews and looking at the spces and price I would say it is a Galazy grade system.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    You can here also, but there's a bidding process, and no musician can afford to pay for it, so the FCC allows certain open bands for "public" use. Those ranges are also occupied by TV stations, so you REALLY NEED to know which stations operate in your area. The FCC has sold off the 700 and 600 Mhz bands we used to use, so we're now reduced to the 400-600 range (and I believe) the 900 Mhz range. Of course, there's still the 2.4 and 5G frequencies.. but, cluttered they are, so I don't think anyone is building IEM's in those ranges!

For all readers of this thread:

I've seen countless people go "buy" a wireless IEM system without getting up to speed like they would on buying a bass or amp!
    For example.
    Sennheiser has THREE G3 IEM models they sell in the US. Shure and Galaxy have theirs also.
    • A1 = 470-516 MHz
    • A = 516-558 MHz
    • G = 556-608 Mhz
    IF your area (zip code - see example below) comes up with the pictured response, then logically you would look at buying an A1 or G model as the A band has VERY few open frequencies, with A1 being the optimal choice.
    Choosing an A band system will cause dropouts, pops and glitches and other undesirable artifacts in your IEM signal. Those have ZERO to do with the device itself, but purely on WHERE it's being used!

9oh0nR_vhafl4GyHHuZkmKd5HeayFm4yazbxYdC2dyYKcL4mP1UVydKwjFwdxg_SwhmnQLssq2Cih9ek8DVI19CmCnFXptE8.png

Hope this info (all included in the link in my sig) helps someone but the right unit and not end up blaming equipment for things they were unaware of!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021