Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If a Crest CA9 is too heavy, what's the best "light" alternative???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vic, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've heard all the buzz about the CA9, but I don't think I want to lug around a 50lb power amp.

So surely there must be at least a couple lighter alternatives with nearly, if not the same, tonal qualities???

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    If you don't mind the name, the solid-state Ampegs are light and have decent EQs. I kinda LIKE the beefier amps myself!

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd be interested to find it. I've had quite a few amps, and nothing sounds quite like a CA9. What I'd really like them to do is make a 900 into 4 ohm mono block based on the same design, coming in somewhere around 1/2 the weight. One channel of a CA9 would be enough juice for just about any situation.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
  5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No offense, and I appreciate all input, but you'll never get me behind an Ampeg. Totally not my sound. Besides, I'm strictly talking about power amps here.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    How light do you want it? what kinda money you looking to spend?

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    What about the PLX series from QSC? They just revamped them this year.
    I run the older 1602 version.

Jim

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I was looking at these... great power/weight ratio, but I don't know how they sound.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ALAP :D, and under 1K would be good, and I think all I really need is at least 350-500/side @ 8ohms.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I was using a crown MA 1200 and it was heavy... it won against the QSC powerlight as far as punch and clarity in my opinion.. I dont feel the QSC powerlights have all that much punch factor.. they are loud but it is missing something that i can not put my finger on... but i only notice it when AB to my Crown..
    I think the Crest is right up there wih the crown amps.. but they are heavy.. i think that may have something to do with it.. the heavy transformer and power supply that is..
    you may not believe this but I got a Carvin DCM 1500 power amp a few years ago and it sounds amazing in my opinion.... clarity,, and it has the Punch FACTOR... very fast responding... real inexpensive.. has a rounder low than my friends QSC power light series of equal power..
    I use mine with a vintage alembic F2B preamp... with Bagend and Aguilar cabs... it is very present and round...
    and fast...
    Your milage may differ...

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego

Link to 2502

Looks like a 2502 might be up your alley. The 1602 I have is just pure clean power. 21 lbs is really nice on the old bones.:)

Bob Lee of QSC is on TB someplace and would be glad to help.

Jim

13. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Vic, I think you know my thoughts basically, but I'll weigh in anyway. I personally agree about nothing sounding like the CA9. BUT, the Stewart 2.1 is a very nice sounding power amp and very light, better than the QSC line in my opinion, although I've got very limited experience with a PLX so. . . the difference in tone between the Crest in the Stewart can be summed up in the weight difference, to my ear. The Stewart sounds really great and is very loud and powerful. The CA9 is about 30 lbs heavier, and so is the tone. It is just thicker and "richer," more punch and clarity, whereas the Stew is more "airy" power but still clear - the CA9 is just moreso. My ineptitude in conveying these things not withstanding, I think you'd be very happy with any of the power amps mentioned - QSC, Stew, Crest - they're just different types of "good."

14. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't know anything about the PLX line but I use a QSC PL236 and it is superb. My CA-9 has not left the house since I got the PL236.

15. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    My 2c, if you want a CA9, buy a CA9.

And for a total of 4c :D I think too much emphasis gets placed on the weight of amps. It's only 50lbs and how many minutes per week are you going to spend actually carrying the thing? Relate it to the amount of time, money and effort you put into other aspects of getting the tone you want and it's completely trivial.

16. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

For under a grand I think the Stewart 2.1 would be a perfect choice for you.

17. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You may want to look into a PV 10 pounds 1 rack space with close to the same power you need.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I know, I know...I've heard all the "qsc/plx don't have the punch and bottom end of a CA9"

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.
    I've been using an Eden Navigator with a qsc/plx 1602 bridged mono into a Schroeder 410, and I don't think it lacks anything...except weight:)

just my devalued .02, YMMV, etc.

19. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What he said!

20. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I've heard a great deal of good things said about Lab Gruppen power amps, however their pricing is pretty insane from memory and they're not the most common item used either. You may want to check them out though, they seem to get very good opinions from everyone with experience of them and are considered one of the best for a high end PA. I've hand no personal experience and will most probably never get the chance, just relaying the message.