Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If a fellow bassist's bass was broken...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dream Works, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    If a fellows bassist's bass was broken, and it was during a show, would you lend him/her yours?
    It happened to me today. I wasn't exactly caught in the situation of lending out my bass, but infact, my bass was not sounding.
    I was at a competion (Kiwanis at Humber College Lakeshore Campus, if anyone is interested), and my bass wasn't sounding. It had worked fine with an electronic tuner, but when I plugged in, my bass wouldn't sound. A crew man came up and tried to figure out the problem, and we finally were able to recognize that it was my bass. "Do you want to borrow my bass?" I obviously said yes, and I was given a chance to play a fretless Yamaha TRB6II.
    We go back to the question. If a fellow bassist's bass was broken, would you lend him/her yours?

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. Unless I hated him. :bag:

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I would, yes. I'm actually playing at Kiwanis in Kingston on Wednesday -- let's just hope that doesn't happen! Actually, just in case, I think I'm going to bring my electric too (I'm going to be using the school's DB.)

I'm not sure how too many bassists around here would do with my bass (fretless) -- almost every time I've let someone play it, they've been playing horrifically out of tune. Only one or two people have played it with any degree of proficiency on the first go.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah, Why not? If they dropped it I'd kill em tho

5. i'd feel guilty if i didn't, and its good karma...but god, i'd hate to do it

6. Assuming there's wasn't broken via some sort of epic stage antic, I'd let them use my backup.

7. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    My bass was broken 'cause of a bad soldering job on the output jack. Lesson learned: Ibanez electronics are disgusting and should be striped and replaced with a better preamp.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I use to be able to instantly say yes. But I saw some hardcore show where this happened. The bassist was this huge musclehead and he was pounding on his bass and broke his E string mid song ( :eek: )... he needed to borrow the bass because he didn't have anymore strings... that man would be nowhere near my bass.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd loan a backup bass, maybe.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Only if I knew the guy was responsible.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if i was there the whole time and i knew them and/or got a good vibe from them, sure.

with a really cool bass like mine (and no, i'm not tooting my own horn, just giving Mike T props), it's kinda like having a really hot wife/girlfriend and letting someone else kiss her - "bet ya wish she was yours and you could take her home huh?" :smug:

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No can do. I play lefty. :rollno:

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I would but wouldn't like it.One time I was playing a gig with a a local band.And the bas player who I am friends with asked me could he play the 75 Jazz my singers uncle lent to me.I said no and felt bad.He is a nce fellow but I didn't want him to have the same bass for the whole set.Am I a bad person?

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd be very skeptical if I didn't know the person. Most of my basses are one-of-a-kind, and pretty valuable. But, if I knew and trusted the player, no problem. Just as long as he didn't try to smash in any speakers at the end of the show. :)

15. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i am perplexed by your terminology. your bass was not "sounding"... :confused:

16. He sure ain't gonna be usin' no PICK on it right?

17. If I knew them, yes.

If I thought I could trust them, yes.

Any other circumstances, probably not.

18. my old guitarist broke a string on our first note of our first song of a set... no one gave him a guitar... we went on and played a really odd show... good reviews.

That is why I ALWAYS will bring an extra 4 and 6 to a show, which if it was a good reason the bass wasn't working, would help out

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Yes.

Unless I knew he had an extremely agressive / abusive way of playing, or had a habit of breaking the instrument at the end of the show and putting fire to it Hendrix-style... you know, if I had reason to think the instrument might be damaged, I would reconcider.

Of course, I might have a sort of perverse pleasure in lending my 7-string to another bass player and watch him struggle with it. But I don't know that, as it hasn't happened yet.

20. that is why you need a 12 (non octave) bass... bring it to the show, tamper with another bassists equipement and let him attempt it... oh the fun that would be to watch