If a musician on Youtube or a social media platform has a big audience, can he get gear sponsorships

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sean775, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    For example, if a musician has a lot of regular viewers, would he be able to contact a company like Fender and ask for some new equipment in exchange for item promotion or another form of advertising?

2. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Let's pretend for a minute I'm the Fender rep looking at your request...
    Do most of your videos prominently show you playing bass/guitar?
    Are a large segment of your audience gear buying people?
    Are the musicians in the videos fairly good and play out at shows often?
    I say go for it, you never know.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't know for sure that it happens. But some of the gear review shows on youtube definitely have enough of an audience to be worthwhile for manufacturers to just give them stuff to try out. 'That Pedal Show' is pretty solid that way. And the fact that Robert Keeley made them a signature drive/boost pedal strongly implies that they are doing that well. The 'D & M Drive' even has Dan and Mick's (cartooned) faces on it.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL. yeah, I'd be willing to bet marlowDK and scott devine? get a little hook up from time to time.

I would not be at all surprised to find out manufacturers just throw gear at their feet.

5. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Absolutely. You could even get a signature bass:

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

7. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    And if you're lucky it won't sound like a banjo.

J_Bass likes this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Ahah, well put!

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I can tell you with 100% certainty that, yes, you can get endorsements from youtube videos and subscribers alone.

10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    yes it is possible. On the guitar side, just look at Rob Scallon or Sarah Longfield

11. I think it depends on the brand. Some big brands main requirement is you have to play so many gigs a year. Usually a least a 100 for big name brands. Other brands it’s totally doable. Our drummer has had a few for example.

12. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If they want you, they'll let you know. The better way to get their attention is to start tagging them, playing their gear exclusively. If you go emailing them flat out demanding free gear (which they don't give you anything for free, you'll get a discount) they'll likely trash your email just as quick as they can hit the Delete key.