Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If a random kid came up to you

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KyleCynical, Jun 3, 2001.

1. KyleCynical

KyleCynical

Jun 3, 2001
    and had $800 in hand that he worked his arse off for, what would you tell him to buy? (kid has no gear whatsoever, would like to spend it on getting started on bass, needs something enough for band rehearsals-nerd rock, emo, classic rock.)

I have the money, but I just don't know what to do with it! I really don't want to blow all this money on just an amp, or a bass, though.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass!

The best used amp he could find for $500 and the best used bass he could find for $300.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What Rickbass1 said.

Try to avoid amps with less than 100W RMS.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Basses:
    Dean Edge 4
    Fender Mexican P bass or Jazz bass
    Yamaha BB-4N
    Ibanez SR-300

Amps:
    Ampeg B2 combo
    Fender Bassman 100
    Crate BX-100

There are many more choises out there, but I gave you the ones off the top of my head.

Good Luck & welcome to TB!!!!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I say he learns how to use a pick, get's a Fender MIM P-bass, then gets himself a Peavey combo. (combo 115... TNT or whatever) Or something else that's atleast 200 watts, with a few bells and whistles.

P's are what most people that play emo use.

9. I would advise him to save $100 for lessons (@ 30 minutes/lesson that's over a month's worth) and have his instructor help him find a bass and amp that would be best for him.

Jeff

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd say that new Yamaha BBN4 and used Peavey TNT(130 or 115) combo would be pretty nifty idea.

Those would cost you around 600 bucks and you'd have 100 bucks to put in lessons. If you could have your parents pay lessons, Yamaha BBG4S(or BBG5S) would cost you 100 bucks more.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    WHAT???:confused:

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i would say "learn how to play with fingers FIRST"... then learn some songs with picks...

but, oh well

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sorry Dave, but I beg to differ. When you're first learning, you have a better feel for what you're more familiar with. If he learned finger picking, it'd be difficult to go back and learn with a pick, and vice versa.

Emo sounds best while played with a pick. I'd say that's subjective, but I don't know of an emo band that has a bassist that finger picks - do you?

;)

14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I gotta go with Dave. What happens if he changes his mind about the style he wants to play? He should learn how to play as many styles as possible with whatever techniques are available to him.

If he wants to doggedly pursue one sub-genre at the expense of all others, then -- rather than bass -- we should encourage him to start on guitar, where such closed-mindedness is valued.

(Big, evil grin)

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That's a quite pathetic post. If you can learn picking just as easily as you can learn finger picking, then wouldn't it be in his best interest to learn what would suit him best for what he'll need sooner?

I don't see the logic being used here...
    Do any of you have any personal experience with emo? Or even what emo is? Weezer isn't emo, neither is Blink 182, or any bands you'll fine on mtv... I'll give you that.

(immense condescending grin)

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :rolleyes:...Sigh, good ol C-Eye...

I'm with Dave and Sixandeightstringer on this one. Why should he focus on one SMALL subgenre instead of learning to play bass in general? Versatility is a good thing. Start with fingers, definitely. Picking can be easily picked up later, whereas fingerstyle playing has a lot more technique involved, especially initially.

If everyone did what was easiest in the beginning, they'd all play with 1 finger on both hands.

Besides, if every emo bassist uses a pick and a P, shouldn't that be a good reason NOT to do either? Gotta be different, right? ;)

BTW, "...a quite..." would sound a lot better written as "...quite a...", so you'd get "That's quite a pathetic..." instead of "That's a quite pathetic...". ;)

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I disagree. I find it much harder to pick then play finger-style. I've been finger picking for four years, but apparently that's not too long. I can play as fast as I've ever needed to with my fingers, while I can barely use a pick. I don't see that as being logical. He could always pick up finger picking later, kinda like looking for a quick fix.

Don't fixate on long-term goals if you can't accomplish your contemporary goals.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I would say, "Hey kid can you lend me $800 bucks?"

-used musicman stingray and save up for an amp.

-A $200 1967 ampeg b15 portaflex in a pawnshop where the owner doesn't know how much it is worth and an american model jazz bass

-acoustic 360, a 1962 fender fretless jazz, and a video called "Modern Electric Bass" by JAco Pastorius

-or i would tell he/she save up an other 15-20k for an upright and an other 3k for a good bow, make sure it is not a german bow.

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    why use a pick, is the kid too weak to use his own fingers?!!! just kidding. If i was serious lemmy would be kicking my ass. And chris squire probably would too. I use a pick... annually. I definately prefere fingerstyle/fingerpicking, i think it doesn't sound as sterile, it is easier on string crossing and double stops can be played. oh yea, you can't play jaco style false harmonics with a flatpick. I would like to see someone play birdland with a flatpick. (i'm sure it could be done with fingerpicks).

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hey, i got into my upright for 2k including GERMAN bow. it sucks for classical music, but it rocks for jazz!

and what's an emo? any relation to the emu?

one last thing - learn how to not use a pick. incase you ever want to play music that doesn't involve flightless birds you will be better off.

(edit - forgot to answer the question!) buy an MIJ Fender (i'd say jazz bass because it's more versatile, but if the P works for ya go for it) and spend the rest on a hartke kickback combo. (best combo i've ever played, loud too.) save for lessons too - or you could enroll in your schools orchestra on upright. (yeah, it may not be cool, but you will get much better, trust me.)

jason