Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If a speaker sounds a little distorted, is it blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Aug 23, 2004.

1. I have two identical cabinets, neither of which have any markings on them (ohms, impedience, wattage rating) They are 118s. I've never run them seperately, yet recently I've noticed one sounds a little farty and ruins my tone while the other does not and sounds nice and clear. Would the reason be that it is blown? Maybe something loose inside? What could it be?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's a good chance that the speaker needs to be reconed and has seen the end of its useful life
    of course, that's without hearing it for myself and ruling out any odd cabinet related noise

3. I assume reconing is the problem and terribly expnsive

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good chance - a lot of times buying a new speaker is cheaper if you have to ship the driver out to be reconed
    it would help if you knew what the speaker is - pulling it out you might find out what brand driver it is and if its even worth reconing it

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Before going out and replacing speakers, be sure there isn't some other problem like an air leak around the speaker.

Leaks can sound like all kinds of faults, depending on where they are and what shape, etc. They can be really loud-sounding. Often they cause a sort of farty "flutter" noise.

Other possible "common" causes include:

A wire inside that is loose and hitting the cone

A piece of grille cloth touching the cone

A piece of crud that has fallen into the space between the "surround" (flexible ring around cone) of the speaker and the frame.

Loose dust cap (you can often re-glue them).

Something else loose and buzzing on the cabinet, like loose grille frame or cloth, a split cabinet joint, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that you don't have a blown speaker, but since speakers tend to be expensive, you probably want to exclude all other causes.

6. It's deffinately speajker or something internal. I think I'll jusst sell it.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I for one won't be buying it - :p

8. :p A guitarist is interested, he wont even notice since the distortion anyway haha.

9. Okay I took it the speaker out and looked at all the wires, it's pretty simplistic in there and none of the wires seem to be broken or anything. I tested it again and it still has that fluttery fart to the sound. I found out that 18 inch speakers are extremely heavy (wowza!) and now for a very important piece of imformation....

The speaker looks likes this ( ( ( (-----------O--------------) ) ) )

basically three deep grooves, then small ones for the majority, I guess the big ones are for travel. If I put slight pressure on the edge of the cone on the inside of the three deep grooves, the bad noise stops and it sounds like it should. So I guess it's the cone? Any help?