If ACCUGROOVE is a 10 and ROGUE a 1, what is an ACME?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Oct 4, 2004.

1. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Putting a number on a cab is pretty inacurate measurement but I was wondering what assembled experts think how ACME's rate in such a poll?

Thinking of a B2 with an Eden WT 800 for a mini(ish)rig. Currently own a Yorkville 2x10 - how much of an up/down grade is the ACME?

Thanks, as ever.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Numbers are purely fictitious, its your ears and your application that should dictate whether an Acme is right for YOU. Acme is upper eschelon equipment, for sure, along with Bergantino, Accugroove, and a long host of others. But a great cab can be a waste for you if it doesn't match your application and your tastes.
  3. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Of course numbers are nonsense without any other parameters....much like "which is best....". My question relates to where ACME fits into the collective perception of bass players. Simplistic and plainly non-scientific, but it is of interest to me.

I am interested in perceived quality of a) sound b) construction.

Obviously I would draw a line to those who have neither used it or heard it. Ah , heck, while we are being vague, all opinions welcome!
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Construction......Acme is as good as it gets.

Sound.......depends on what you're looking for. Acme's are clean, clean, clean. All the low end you'll ever need. No raspiness, grind, rawness, bark, etc. built into these cabs at all. You can get enough cut in the midrange via EQ to keep from getting buried in a dense mix, but it's not there naturally like it is with most Eden, SWR, and some Ampeg gear. And of course, Acme's are famously inefficient. If you're going to be playing in a really loud band, you will need at the very least a B-4 or a pair of B2's - more than likely 2 B4's or 4 B2's. They are pretty reasonably priced though, so overall, a freakishly loud rig that puts out more lows than anything available would compare pretty well price-wise with any other really high quality rig. If you want "studio monitor clear" sound, Acme's will do it. If you're more into SVT dirt/industrial grind kinda stuff, especially at high volumes, you'd probably be better off with something else. You can get some fine distortion through an Acme, but I kinda fear that doing it a lot, loudly, might be asking too much from their tweeter and midrange.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying an AccuGroove yet; I've tried Bergantino, Aguilar, Eden, Ampeg, etc........for my use, the Acme's get at least a solid 9. When I judge a speaker cab, I consider sound most importantly, but I do also consider weight and cost as well. Acme's sound great, they're light (relative to most speaker cabs), and they're priced well.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have both Acme and Accugroove cabs and you are really talking about two different animals. My B-2 is simply a small gig monster. I have run it with an Eden WT-600 and a SWR SM-500 and it kills. It really is a golden cab for the small-rig thing. I will rate it at the top of the small-rig scale.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Please elaborate! :help:
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its a 15. really.
  8. I think the obvious answer is:

"Ours go to eleven." :)
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think that you can reduce these cabs to a one, or two, number scale, and have any real idea of how they compare. There are just too many variables, with personal preference being the obvious main factor. That said, there are bad cabs, adequate cabs, good cabs, great cabs, and "gotta have ultimate shiznit!" cabs.

Whatever you would call the top, or "best of the best", here is my personal list of cab makers (in alphabetical order) whose products I have tried (actually, I own cabs from all of these companies), and whom I believe are all at the very top when it comes to quality of construction, and quality of sound (though obviously tonal characteristics will vary):

Euphonic Audio

I must give special mention to the older EV-equipped Road Ready and Diesel Mesa Boogie cabs. At the time, these were right up there at the top.

There are many other very good cab makers, and this list is too long for me to even attempt to populate. There are also many other brands that I have never heard, and so cannot comment upon. With regard to the above cabs, I really don't have an absolute favorite. All of them impress me greatly in one regard or another, and I have the utmost respect for all of the makers listed above.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Hey, ACME is good enough for Wylie, it's good enough for me. That sh*t's the bomb.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A 16?
  12. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    How about Wyliee? That's me and I do own an Acme Low B-2.

I've also tried the Accugroove cabs several times. With an Eden head, I'd probably go with the Accugroove.

If you're interested, I might sell you my Acme. - So I can buy an Accugroove....
  13. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have a pair of Low B-2s. I'll be upgrading to (that is, adding) some AccuGrooves when the budget permits.

The Acme sound is a bit reserved. It's full range, but it doesn't really have any zing. This would be good for URB gigs or quiet jazz. It's a little too reserved for in-your-face rock or multi-string playing. That's where the AccuGrooves excel.

Where the Acmes excel is in portability. The Low B-2 is a dream to lug around. The newer 'Grooves are good, but the Tri 112 is not quite as convenient (IMHO) as the Low B-2.

BTW, speaking from experience, combining Acmes and 'Grooves is the bomb!

14. Actually, the Acme can have tons of mids and highs, if you EQ them in. It's up to you... what you put into the Acmes is what you get out of them. I'm able to get plenty of mids and highs out of mine... with that 3 way setup, it will throw out mids pretty hard if you drive it with enough power. IIRC, the 5" mid driver can handle 100 watts of power, and it's crossed over at 1Khz, so it handles only high mids. My BBE Bmax has a para-mid control, so I can zero in on the frequencies that get you heard. You can get these cabs to cut through anything, but like I said, you have to EQ them properly. It's been said before, but they are a clean slate in terms of tone... if your signal path sucks, then the Acmes will reflect that.
  15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000

I'm playing a B4 through an Ampeg SVT 4-PRO and find that the Ampeg colors the ACME's flat response nicely. I am playing with a loud drummer and a LOUD guitar player (Full Peavey 5150 stack) and have no problem being heard whatsoever.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

Although it is physically larger, I find that I have an easier time moving my Accugroove Tri 210L than I do with my Low B-2. I think that it is the size and location of the handles. That said, the ACME is not difficult to move. It's just that when you're actually carrying it, I find the Tri 210L to be more comfortable.