1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If and When Covid-19 gets finally defeated, will Live Music experience a Renaissance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doublesixes, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How many TBers think that under the right circumstances live music will come back with some renewed enthusiasm once this current nightmare becomes a thing of the past?

I, for one I'm ready to resume some low key gigging even at your typical hole-in-the-wall dining venue where I can play jazz standards with my buddies to a carefree, chatty audience.

ted burik, mongo2, Polfuste and 3 others like this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I think thrre might be a bump when things open up, but long term, I don’t envision things reversing course from the trends before the lockdown.

That said, I’d love to be wrong.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’d expect a brief burst of enthusiasm at least, as we all celebrate a return to things we’ve missed. That includes some venue owners, those that survived. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nope. No different than before. But home recording and songwriting are already having one.

5. Absolutely right. A bunch of us have decided to use the many recording tools available to polish our craft/art.

ted burik likes this.
  6. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    The end of the pandemic won't be like flipping a light switch. It will be a gradual process, with some areas opening faster than others. Indoor entertainment will probably be one of the last things to come back.

I don't think it's clear how this will work out in the long term. The economy is going to be hurting for years; many venues will go out of business; many musicians will go broke; audiences for instrumental music were already getting older before the pandemic.

There will be pent-up demand, but that will probably be mostly for established acts.

I expect that eventually things will liven up, but it's going to take a long time.

gorneyg, jasper383, kevindahl and 5 others like this.
  7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I played two gigs this past weekend in Tennessee and North Carolina and people were chomping at the bit for live music. They did not want us to stop playing at either venue.

8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    If/When. Smart. It’s not a guarantee.

That being said, I’ll say yes with a huge caveat; the venues have to come back first, and a lot of them won’t. From what I’m seeing around here, if the plague ended tomorrow about 60% of my former venues would be gone. And it ain’t ending tomorrow.

But people do want to go out. Badly. And they want a soundtrack to that. Badly. So there will be live music. Again, with caveats. I think things are going to change hugely; gigs are going to get much quieter. That will have force of law to back it up; we here in San Diego were already seeing venues getting their music/dance permits pulled for excessive volume pre-COVID. I expect that will be the norm upon any sort of reopening.

If. I keep that in mind. You all should as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    kevindahl, SemiDriven and Doublesixes like this.
  9. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I expect a lot of this. Huge pent up demand!

Doublesixes and VS like this.
  10. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    That's exactly what it was and our singer made note of it. He said, "I bet this is one of the first live shows you've seen in a while and we're glad to take part in that with you!".
    They were floored to see live music again.

Polfuste and Doublesixes like this.
  11. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    There’s definitely a demand. But like many have said, the venues have been decimated. Nearly all my favorite venues with big stages and awesome PA systems have shut their doors. Hopefully the scene come back, and if not we’ll make something happen.

/\/\3phist0 and Doublesixes like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There will be a lot of really great venues lost forever. But live music will be back.
    I feel for all the artists on the brink who saw SXSW and other critical launching pads cancel.

Doublesixes likes this.
  13. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    I think the audiences will be there. People want to get out and have some sense of normality again. But we’ll have to see what survives this. Bars and dining establishments that had music will probably once again have music. However the National Independent Venue Association is predicting that without immediate financial help 90% of music venues will close permanently. These are venues that for every one dollar they take in, they generate 12$ for the local economy. Not to mention all the jobs, vendors, others they support. 12 million people worked in music and live events venues. Many of which are looking to get out of the business and find more stable work. Sound,lighting,video, and staging companies that have had no income for months may not survive. It could be another year till venues can open and concerts can start again. Not many businesses can shutter for 18 months and have the capital to meet their bills and restart. Most promoters are saying they aren’t gonna put on shows till they can open at 100% capacity. They would lose money opening at anything less.
    So yes I think the audiences will be there. The bigger artists will survive but there may not be much infrastructure left once you get above the bar band scene. A 1.2 trillion dollar industry was brought to its knees and shut down over night. It’s gonna take a lot to get it going again.

Doublesixes likes this.
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Here in NZ coming out of lockdown almost felt like a switch was flicked and the country burst back into life. People were behaving as though the pandemic had ended. I kept saying that there was more to come and while we weren't locked down the second time that small outbreak created some restrictions for 5 weeks again. Now, it's back to (almost) normal again however I feel that there will be recurrences before it is all over.

One thing I noticed was that many venues that used to do live music were now putting on open mic nights, obviously with an eye on saving some money. One of the best known live venues here in Christchurch which has live music 7 days a week has moved to booking bands directly rather than going through an agent in an effort to save some money. Unfortunately they are also paying less and many of the acts are really quite sub-standard which seems to be the case in many venues. At least the contracted sound engineers, one of which is my daughter, are paid decently.

My current project is sounding really good and we did our first gig the other week. I started this project with no intention of gigging but the other's were really keen so I reluctantly agreed. The venue normally only put on solo's or duo's and the pay was $200 plus a $100 bar tab (the others barely drink so I got a few decent craft beers ;))..... for a four piece (we normally are a 5-6 piece). While I enjoyed it I've said I won't do it again for less than $400. Not because I want the money, I donate my cut to pay my daughter to do sound, but because I don't want to be a part of setting such a low paying standard for bands in town. Will my stance affect anything???? Probably not, but I'd rather just have everyone come to play in my studio than spend all the time and effort setting up PA etc etc for a gig that basically pays next to nothing.

In other countries that have had much longer lockdowns and/or restrictions it may be a case of "how many venues survive" followed by, "how many are prepared to pay for decent acts".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  15. Renaissance after this pandemic is over? That would be nice.

16. Necessity is the mother of invention. Historically, when something popular was outlawed, or people were otherwise deprived of something beloved, the innovators invented replacements—some of which became more popular than their predecessors. I fear that when public entertainment is curtailed or banned, that alternatives will emerge, and given sufficient time, will catch hold and become even more popular than live music.

I’m not saying it will happen—only that it could, given sufficient time and desire.

Often progress comes at the expense of long held institutions, which, out of the public eye long enough, are in danger of becoming archaic and obsolete.

Doublesixes likes this.
  17. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    The demand for live music will come back higher than ever.
    That will last for a while and then return to normal.
    Same goes for most activities limited by the current situation.

Doublesixes likes this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I wonder why we were we never worried about a collapsed economy when we were spending more every few months of the Gulf war than the total we’ve spent so far trying to shore up our pandemic hobbled economy.

richntiff, Doublesixes, blue4 and 3 others like this.
  19. Unfortunately I agree with you, and I also hope I am very wrong.

Doublesixes likes this.
  20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Live entertainment has been waning long before covid.......its still big with Boomers and Gen Xers, so there will be gigs in 55+ communities for some time to come......in a few decades it will be a niche thing.

Mvilmany, Frontporch, Charlzm and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.