Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If anybody knows anything about building pedal boards, help me out.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 16, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Im wanting to build my own pedal board, Its cheaper and fun. I thought it would be cool to make the pedal part aluminum diamond plated, so im trying to figure out demensions for it. Does anybody know how to build one or has anybody ever? I want to put in a thing with about 6 input jacks to run to a effects loop and a power strip of some sort. I checked out www.pedalboards.com and i saw what i thought i needed but i really just dont understand it. Can somebody please help me.

2. the typ of metal u want needs to be tig welded.steel can be arc, mig,ect.steel is also cheaper it will be heavy bu you wount have to worry about it breaking.

get a big paper.lay you pedals out on the papper and one u get the patch bay or what ever you want to use for the inputs and power strip and so on.lay them out in the smallest but not to smal area and thats the size for the bottom.work from there.sorry if it doesnt makes sense.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just embarked on the same project. Best source of info was 1) do a search of this forum for posts on pedalboard(s) / pedal board(s), and 2) ask your guitar players friends.

The project is basically: 1) buy your pedals, 2) buy an AC to DC power supply, 3) buy velcro strips, 4) buy the board, 5) buy the connecting jacks or cables, and figure out how big you want the board to be. Put it all together.

One major variable is the power supply. They range from a $20 item that you need to daisy chain, to the Voodoo Labs power supply that will power as many as 8 pedals and costs about $200+. The daisy chain route was not recommended by people I asked; it's supposed to be noisy.

George L cables seem to work well as connecting cables because they're not bulky and the jacks don't protrude out as much as with regular cables. Also, you can use little male-to-male jacks for connecting one pedal to the immediately adjacent pedal in an efficient manner. They look like two male jacks connected to each other.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

The Dunlop juice box seemes like a good, cheaper alternative. I really don't need things like voltage sag.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Blisshead,

what's voltage sag and how does it relate to pedal board power supplies? What makes the Dunlop better than other power supplies? This is new stuff to me. Thanks!!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, the Dunlop is cheaper!!! Voltage sag mimicks a dying nine volt battery. The Voodoo Labs box has it. I can't think of a more useless feature. Unless they added one that mimicks a shorting power cord. ;)

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Some distortion pedals sound subjectively better at lower voltage. Older or vintage pedals were made before alkaline batteries were readily available. Carbon comp battereies lose voltage over a period of time.

You either have a need for this function or don't but that's the (un)reasoning.

I have AB'ed partially depleted carbon comp and alkaline batteries with various guitar distortions and the difference is negligable in the bedroom/studio. Live nobody is going to tell the difference unless they are dishonest/mad/Eric Johnson.

Back on topic, Ben's got the methodology; lay out all your stuff on newspaper or a big sheet of Christmas paper and you have your size. I think somebody does a fitment kit.

I'll be back

EDIT-nope cannot find it. I thought it was Scott Williamson at bestpedalboard but it's not advertised.

8. Voltage sag sounds very cool for fuzz pedals.
    I have an AC-Mutron III in my pedal board that is grounded, while all my VL Pedal power-ed stompboxes are not. Because of this it induces that notorious 60 cycle hum through out my board, even when bypassed with my loop switcher. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should just lift the ground on this three prong-Tron? That would certainly end my ground loop...

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I still really don't know. That is sure to help, but jeez, I really feel uncomfortable w/o that on anything these days.

However, considdering what benefits are ahead if you do it, and as long as you're careful after, I'd probably do it to make everything good and happy sounding :D

10. Well, thanks for the response anyways..I might have to just sell it for one with a power supply. It sounds totally stellar so i'd hate to have to unload it just because it doesn't jive in my loop. Never added any hum when it was just on the floor with my other boxes?? Just in this setup. Dang...

11. How timely.
    I am gonna erase a thread I started on the Boss 6-space board 'cause I have done some FX trading (out: dynamic wah, in: V-wah and Bassballs), and have been researching some pedalboard options. Based on my research and reading this thread so far, here are the conclusions:

Buy an SKB board with on-board power, and on some models, FX loops as well. I know that this sounds pricey, but MF has good deals usually.
    www.skbmusic.com

Still wanna build one? Think the tig-welded route is the way to go? Try www.pedaltrain.com

Best of luck.

12. if u decied ur going to make a pedal board out of metal ur self make it out of steel.when u bring it to get welded ull see. theres not to many places that u can bring metal and be like tig weld this for me.tig welding is way over price to.i know i do it every day at school. u best bet would be to get it made out of steel then it could be mig or arc(stick)welded. i made mine out 1/8 diamond plate. its heavy but if i drop it it wount break or dent and i can hurt a drumer with it or a guitar player if they get to loud.

also if you bring it to a tec high school youll get it done for alittle more then cost of the metal.and u wount have try to make it your self. i dont know how u could make a pedal board out of metal by ur self. all the cutting of the metal and welding would be to hard for most. most tech high school wount charge more for tig welding but youll pay more for the metal depending on what u want.

13. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Im gonna go up to a welding school (tulsa welding school) here in town tomarrow. Ill ask them about it. thanks for the help.

14. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I cobbled my 'board together using the boss ns-2 pedal to power all the others (8 others in total) via a daisy chain. I dont find it noisy. I used super strength velcro to stick 'em to a piece of bright yellow acryllic plastic approx 1cm thick, and put duck tape around the edges and hey presto! does the job nicely.

ps. that velcro is STRONG!

15. Ok..here's my finished project. The "brain" is a CPR three-loop switcher.
    Loop (1) has the Korg G5 with an EB volume pedal to control the sensitivity.
    Loop (2) has an EBS Octaver>Mutron III+>AC-Mutron III>DOD FX25>Chunkfuzz>EBS bassIQ>P+C.
    Loop (3) has an MXR Phase 90.
    The CPR then goes into my Akai Headrush for 24 second sampling. The entire board is wired with Monster bass cable and powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal power. The two-tier board is manufactured by NGM in Texas but wired and assembled by me. It is also butt-heavy.
    If anyone cares I can mail them a little video-mail with a walk thorugh of my board. The file is about 2.5 megs tho'...
    subharmonium@shaw.ca

[​IMG]

16. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I plan on running about 9 or 10 pedals on my board. Should i get one of those loop switchers? If so, who makes them and what are some good ones? Also, The hole board will be ran through my effects loop on my amp. Is that a bad idea, running that many pedals through it. And alas, what is that pedal power thing. would i need one of those. Your 24 second sampler sounds cool, what all do you do with it? thanks again for everyones help.

17. Alas, most guitar pedals will NOT work in the fx loop of your amp so check that out first before running your hole board through it.
    My CPR loop switcher is made by Morgan Miller and is not cheap but provides me with true bypass loops and LED's for each. I think loops switchers are a grand idea not only sonically but for the ability to set up different "presets" of pedals and call them up with the tap of a switch; very handy.
    My Akai Headrush allows me up to 24 seconds of sampling time so you can kick the guitar player out of your band if you're tired of his whining. Other than that they are useless unless you like all that hair on your palms.....

18. If anyone wants a video-mail guided tour of my project just mail me? You must have Windows installed...