Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If at first you don't succeed...try again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, May 6, 2005.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Approx. 8-9 months ago I made the plunge from 5 string to 6 string. I sold my Roscoe LG 3005 and purchased a Roscoe 3006. It actually started out promising but about 1 1/2 months into it I panicked and sold the 6 and got back into another Roscoe LG 3005. Switch back and forth from my 5’s to my 6 just felt uncomfortable. Then a strange thing happened, the LG 3005 I purchased sounded much thinner than I remembered the 3006 sounding. It also just wasn’t as fun to play as the 3006. Three months ago I sold my Elrick and purchased another Roscoe SKB 3006 and I’m happy to say that the transition is complete. So complete that I’ve actually had to force myself to play my 5 strings! Well another Roscoe 3006 came available this week (different pre and wood combinations than my existing 3006) and I couldn’t resist! A local player was desperately looking for a Roscoe LG so I sold him mine and bought the 3006. I guess the old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again” applies to basses also! The bottom line is that I gave up just a bit too early the first time I tried the 6 string. I hope that this thread will serve as encouragement to someone else making that transition from 5 to 6. Here’s a pic of the 3006 coming my way.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Amazing bass man! Sixs own fivers!

DISCLAIMER: SOME THINGS STATED IN THIS POST MAY NOT BE TRUE

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Wow... that is an amazing instrument.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome-I love purpleheart sapwood. I'm not sure why but Roscoe sixes always look like they're easy to play. Maybe it's the string spacing.

5. Very nice! I plan on trying some 6's some day. I just want to find one I can spend some quality time with before I go spend the money.

6. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Nice!! Welcome to the 6+ Club.

errr.. again.. :eyebrow:

It's only a matter of time before you start to think ...
    "Ya know.. if 6 strings are this nice, than 7 ...... hmmm"

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That's a beauty! Man I love Keith's basses.

I would have a hard time selling basses so easily. The only bass I got rid of was my Guild Pilot I gave to my nephew. But selling a high end bass-- I don't know. You're a better man than I.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bryan,
    The Roscoe 6's are the only 6's that have felt comfortable to my hands. I think it's a combination of the neck profile and the 11/16" string spacing. Slightly harder to slap but it certainly makes overall playing more comfortable.

Thanks Bob!
    Selling my first Roscoe was the hardest decision. What made it easier was that I was ordering my first custom order from Keith. The more that I played different Roscoe's, the more I came to realize how consitantly they were constructed and played. Once I got to that point it was easy. I've had 7 Roscoe's now (currently the 2 3006's). I've yet to have a bad one. Hopefully I can resist any GAS attacks but I really feel that a 3006 fretless is in the future! ;)

Jay,
    That's definitely wise. I played numerous 6's and just never felt comfortable making the plunge. When I played a Roscoe 6 the first time, it just felt right. Some players seem to prefer the wider string spacing but the Roscoe is a Perfect match for my hands.

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have been wanting one for so long, but they are so 'spensive!! And talk about a sexy looking bass. They look so comfortable to play and hold. Do they have a really small body? By the way, that fret board it really cool. Hooray for six strings!

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    That tops looks very nice and I really like the SKB body!

congrats,

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    James,
    You can special order the 3006 with an LG body which is smaller. It traditionally has the slanted p/u's but you could also have Keith route them straight.
    Once I got adjusted to the wider neck I was pleasantly surprised at how little hand fatique I experienced.

12. Hey Joe,
    Glad I could point that beauty out to you! You are a blessed man!

I think it looks fabulous -- I bet it plays that way too.

Let us know what it sounds like and plays like when it shows up. It's funny - I don't see many Roscoe's with the Aguilar preamps. It could make a good lower cost alternative to the Demeter preamp.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Yeah! Thanks John! When you sent that picture I felt my knees give way! :D I'm definitely looking forward to comparing the sound of my current Roscoe 3006 with the Demeter and this one with the Aguilar. The tops and finger boards are different woods but both bodies are Spanish Cedar so it should be a good comparison between the Demeter and Aguilar pre's. I'm still thinking though that the additional neck wood contributes to the overall great sound of the 3006 (and maybe the SKB body?). I'll post the results.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What's with the stripe on the bottom of the fingerboard? Is it purely for looks or is there a purpose behind using multiple woods on a single fingerboard?

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That is all one piece of wood, no laminations or anything, what you are asking about is the sapwood, which tends to be much lighter than the rest of the wood. Keith loves to use the cuts of wood that look unusual, he's pretty fearless when it comes to "different" looking pieces of wood - matter of fact, I'd say he's kinda known for just that!

I've always dug the fact that the Roscoe basses have such a unique look about them....so much so that I work for 'em now! :D (...one day, I'll actually OWN one...sigh...)

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sweet Roscoe Joe!

17. Joe,
    Good to talk to you on the phone today. Keith Roscoe should be very happy with you, man! You are the type of client who really build's a man's business! ;)

Do you ever miss having the Roscoe fretless around?

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The two SKB3006's I've played were extremely playable. Surprisingly so! :bassist:

Gard, my man, you HAVE TO have a Roscoe. That's insane not to have one. I'm shocked that your boss hasn't made you get one as a requirement of the job. :D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, the problem is that everything is already SOLD right now (good problem, mind you! :D )!!!

When things get a bit more calm, trust me, there is a PAIR of 'em in the very near future! :hyper:

...'sides, Keith isn't the jealous type, he really respects the other builders out there, and knows that my playing the other basses I've got (Zon, Lakland, NS Design) is no slight against the ones I now help build & sell.

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    John,
    Good talking to you too! I guess I am building Keith's business! This Roscoe 3006 makes Roscoe #7 (11 if you count the 4 Roscoe's I've purchased for other local players)!

Yeah, I miss the Roscoe fretless. Halftooth tells me that he's really enjoying it though! :cool: IMO Roscoe makes the best fretless available. The Gecko fretless that I made turned out even better than I expected and since I only play fretless a few tunes a gig it's more than adequate. I definitely prefer diamondwood over ebony though and then of course nothing plays like a Roscoe. I'm going to play both fretted Roscoe 3006's for a while and see if there is justification for both of them. If not, a fretless Roscoe 3006 may be in the not to distant future! :meh: