If Backline is Supplied, What Amp do you want?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveTheSoundman, Feb 25, 2004.

1. DaveTheSoundman

Feb 25, 2004
    If your doing a touring gig, and stage gear is being suppied, what amp would you want to use?

What would be your first choice if cost was not an issue?

What would be your minimum acceptable stage amp?

The good 'ole Ampeg SVT seems to still be holding it's own, as far as acceptability. (especially is someone else is carrying it around)

I have seen riders that said "NO HARTKE". Is this a common sentiment among bassists?

Is there something out there that is a "sleeper"? You know, a great piece that nobody knows about?

2. I've used a Hartke 4.5XL more than anything else. However, I think most bass players are ready to deal with an SVT more than anything else.
  3. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

I am open to using most rigs. However, I prefer a tube preamp with a solid state power amp. Edens work. As far as cabinets, 8x10, 2x12. I would rather not have a Hartke.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Aguilar DB750 or Mesa Boogie M pulse.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Eden works for me:)
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Anything I'm likely to be able to get reliably, I probably wouldn't be crazy about. I'd love to get a rack system with a big amp, a good preamp, and quality cabs, but at my level I couldn't depend on getting them. Most times I've played out of town I've gotten G-K heads and Hartke cabs. I can live with that, and have done so, but it doesn't excite me at all. I dislike SVTs tonally for what I like to do, and I have had two of them blow up on me on stage. I personally would never want an SVT if I had a choice. I wouldn't mind an Eden WT-800 and a couple of XST cabs; that might be gettable.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The two most common promoter supplied rigs I've come across are an SVT stack or a GK 800RB into a pair of Hartke XLs (sometimes two 410, sometimes 410 and 115). Both work well and sound good to me.

Now if the original question meant that your management came to you with a checkbook saying they were ready to buy your stage rig...well, that's different and my answer would depend on what type of gig it was.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't have to move it? Cool! I would go with a vintage SVT stack.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Choice of backline? You guys get a choice? We just accept whatever they give us. So far every time I've had backline supplied it's been a GK head with a Ampeg 8x10. The sound is not my cup of tea and I used to complain about it until............

I saw the Chilli Peppers in Australia a few years ago the there he was, My GK himself playing through Ampeg 8x10's (I couldn't make out the brand of head, but it was probably a GK). Touring acts often leave their heavy stuff at home when they tour Australia and hire something similar locally. It saves a lot of money of freight.

If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

3 Hiwatt DR201s (one as a spare) with 4 Hiwatt SE4123s in a biamp setup with one amp full treble and one amp full bass. Perfect. :) :bassist:
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WT-800, of course. If not, SWR SM-900, or whatever it's called.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Fill up the space behind me with some Eden gear, and you won't hear a complaint out of me all night.

13. If I couldn't have my Max pre, DPC 1400x, and Acme B-4.....

Peavey Pro 1600 and appropriate Pro Series Enclosures

Eden WT800 and two 4 ohm 210XST Enclosures

Both of these rigs are fairly "nuetral" and offer a lot of flexible EQ. I could get very usable, pleasing sounds out of either.

14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i can get "joker" tones with most SWR gear by enhance knob about 10:00, bass boosted to max, highs to taste. semi parametric is a plus.

if its ampeg, i usually just leave it all flat, and boost the lows knob.

if its hartke like the 3500 w/ the semi parametric, i'll set it flat, but bump a nice healthy dose in the 125Hz, and slope off a little with the high pass.

if its GK, i thank my lucky stars, cause i'm actually more familiar.

and if its Peavey, i'll remember to bring my jbass w/ the J-Retro onboard 3 band. ;)

IMHO, if you're a semi-pro, its always good to do a little homework by stopping by your local music mall, and fiddling with the ol' standby's like SWR, Ampeg, Peavey, and yes, Hartke.

cause PeteB brought up a great point, in that most clubs and rehearsal spaces in NYC, as i'm sure elsewhere, are outfitted with whatever. usually its these usual suspects, and its kudos on your part for being able to quickly EQ for your sound, without wasting those precious 20-30 minutes to do so. also that familarity pays off dividends when you're in the middle of the gig, and those sounds arent working, but thankfully, you know what EQ settings to begin to troubleshoot.

being a boy scout never paid off soo good. :p
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Dave (if you're the soundguy I've worked with a couple of times) WHAT'S UP!!!

If I'm playing a decent sized room (Hoop?) really, as long as the PA is OK, I just need to be able to hear myself and the drummer to hear me over the acoustic drums. A good poweramp (QSC) and a pre that is easy to figure out. I like the Demeter they had at BeLeVe Fest last year.

A 210 up near chest level to cut through and a 115 down low to feel in my gut is my set-up. However, a big room, good PA, I'd love a floor montor or even in-ears carrying my PA signal. As you'll see, I'm concerned about two things - being able to hear myelf on stage and making sure the tone I get in the house mix is what I want...NOT WHAT THE SOUNDGUY WANTS...no offense.

The only issue I've ever had with the Ampeg SVP-Pro was with Moke (who is a great guy too). He says the "signal is too hot" so he makes me go with a DI box before the amp. I prefer to be able to eq my tone on stage an have that be the tone I get in the house mix too. I guess I'd look for a pre with a DI out that sends a post EQ signal that the soundguy can manage. Or, mic the amp. I don't like to split the signal to the box before the amp though. I change basses regularly and I can mute my amp on stage but you still get the noise through the PA if I'm running into a box right from the bass. It has forced me to use a tuner with a mute option in my signal chain so I can kill the signal before the DI, thus allowing me to change out basses. I prefer to keep my tuner running through the tuner send on the back of my pre. Then I don't worry about any noise or batteries dying etc.

That's just me and the bands I've played with because I'm trying to get a distinct tone to play in and around the mainly acoustic stuff. being right between jazz and rock for the most part...I'm trying to hold up the bottom as well as step out of the 'rythmn section' here and there.

So for decent to large sized rooms with a PA...I just want the house mix tone of the bass to be what I get in our rehearsal area.

Now that I'm not playing regularly with IQ, maybe that will change.

I do like BagEnd cabs but I might go with a 410 over a 210 if I didn't have to load up. I like the preamp>poweramp option and I think it's a good idea for a house backline because if someone damages the amp, the pre is still good, and vice-versa. You can run out and replace that component usually at a lower cost than an equivalent integrated head. QSCs are plenty reliable. The Ampeg SVP-Pro is a decent pre and good enough for a backline, but I really like the TE V-type preamp, Warwick Quadrupplet, or the Demeter VTBP-201. I'd like to try an Aguilar DB659 and Alembic F-1X too, I hear they are smokin.

So if you're looking to recommend a house backline for the dream rig

Preamp - Demeter VTBP-201
    Power Amp - QSC RMX 5050
    Cabs - BagEnd Q10BX-D with a S15B-D and S15X-DF daisy chained

Minimal rig...any amp that you can take an eq'ed signal into the board and give me and the drummer a good monitor...yes, even a Hartke HA3500.

See you around, Dave, and welcome!!!

16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
  17. The "free rental" amp would be the one I'd like.

If this were a wish list, probably the high power Mesa stuff. With 15s!!

"I want a big American car...With tailfins!"
  18. I usually request SM500 or 900 with a Goliath 4x10 since I know I can quickly dial in a sound from my 10 years experience with SWR equipment. The worst thing I've had provided was a Behringer amp with a no name 18". I really suffered on that gig.

One of the better substitutions is pictured below. I found the Eden stack very easy to get a good working tone (was pretty much using an "Eden" sound with that band anyway).