If DR made a flatwound string would you buy it? *Poll*

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, May 14, 2005.

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
  2. No

4 vote(s)
  3. Yes, i would try them but i'm not a flatwound fan

10 vote(s)
  1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    If DR made a flatwound string would you buy it?
  2. I just set up my takemine acoustic with Lo-Rider Nickels. I had acctually looked for a DR flat-wound nickel string. Are any of you guys aware of any string that is nickel wound on a nickel core, I have searched the world over and can't find any.
    PS: love the Lo-Rider Nick's sound great for acoustic. Not, overly bright outof the box. just the sound I was looking for on that bass. nice and tight. love the tension and feel, can't wait until they are fully broke in. :cool:
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    To my knowledge (after searching extensively) there are only 3 brands of nickel flats: TI's, Pyramids, and Zeta's. If anyone knows of any others that exist, please tell.

As for nickel wound on a nickel core...I don't think that would work, at least with magnetic pickups, as you need some magnetic material in there to produce a signal from the magnetic pickups.
    Edit: I just re-read your post and realize you want them for an acoustic, so non-magnetic strings should work for that.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd be tempted to try, but no guaruntees. Hard to get me to stray from my Chromes.