1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If equipment is damaged in performance, who should pay?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Like the question says...

If a piece of equipment is damaged during a performance, who should pay out for the damage?

2. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    How did the damage occur? You used the passive tense. If you damaged it all by yourself - that's one thing.

If the patrons/audience damaged it - that's another. If it was a fellow bandmember - yet again, a dif. situation.

If the audience, for example, throws eggs at your equipment - well, really, I think the band just has to slink home and eat the loss. Unless you had a contract with the venue that said they'd pay for such things (or they promised to search patrons and remove all throwable food items).

3. the person that damages it?

4. Damaged by whom?

Once a drunk chick staggered up on stage with us years ago, and tipped over the guitar players Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifyer and busted all the tubes...he was able to get the girl barred AND get $800 from the club, as their bouncers sat there and watched it happen, (they also got fired).

If it is the gear owner, it's his/her own fault.

If it is another band member, they should have money deducted from their pay until restitution is paid.

Atleast that's the way I look at it.

5. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    i agree with the people before me
    it it was you, then you will have to deal with it
    but if somebody damaged it, then i guess the person that did it or the venue would pay

6. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Ok, Who barfed on your bass this time?:bag:

sick0021.

7. OMG, that's so appropriately horrible!

8. I'd better explain...

I went into my uni's student union to practice with a small group of friends. After a while we had a crowd around us watching.
    Then some complete and utter idiot decided to walk across our 'stage' instead of asking some people to move out of the way. Somehow he knocked over my bass....:bawl:

He's arguing that because we were in a public room then we are responsible for the damage. However our argument is that he deliberately decided to walk across the stage and so any damage is HIS problem.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Remember Colin Powell and the Pottery Barn Rule: You break it, you own it.

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Next time you see him, grab him moble phone, drop it on the floor and jump on it, then point out that as it was in a public place, he's responsible...

His argument is bogus - obviously he's responsible for his actions (assuming you left your bass in a reasonably safe place), but you might not be able to do much about it.

11. I've got the guy's details....I think I'm gonna be having a little chat with this guy.

12. Define 'safe place'...

13. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    On a guitar stand, inside a hard case, or laid flat on a solid table. Don't tell us you had it leaned against the drum kit or on top of your bass head.

14. It was laid against the drumkit (on the bass drum)....which was well away from where this guy needed to be.

I'm an idiot...

15. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

What kind of damage happened, how bad is it?

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You're going to be taking the hit on this one, as you left it someplace it shouldn't be, and you were also blocking foot traffic.

He should've kicked in that bass drum on the way to class.

17. Hey! That was my drumkit!

It fell onto a small step and some of the finish has been taken off the back. There's also a dent on the neck lower down and I had to replace a snapped D string...

18. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    You weren't in a public room. The union will have insurance (which may or may not cover you) or as a student you probably have Endsleigh student insurance which might cover you.

19. Genius!

20. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I absolutely hate it when people don't man up to their crap. I have to say he almost has a point...in a slimy accident lawyer kind of way.

Dang it...I am mad now.

Stomps off...........Honey!?!? Wheres my whiskey?