1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If equipment is damaged in performance, who should pay?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Huh??? What?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like to me that you set up in a foot traffic area, then blocked foot traffic, then laid your bass in a precarious position.

Lesson learned. Move on.

3. I'm an idiot...

4. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

NAH! Idiots cant read...

5. :D

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sounds like the start of a free relic job to me.

How would you go about "fixing" it? Total refinish? If I was the guy, I wouldn't pay for that. If the dent in the neck gets in the way of playing, I'd find out what it would cost to fix that and go after the guy for that. Or maybe get the guy to pay for the broken string and emotional distress, probably about $50.

If the bass plays okay as is, I'd probably let it pass and chalk it up to experience. Next time stash your bass in a safer place between sets.

Gotta move on and get to playin'.

edit: You really have to plan for the worst case scenario. Setting the bass up against a bass drum, it could have been knocked over by anyone, including people in the band, or if wasn't balance properly, it could have fallen over on it's own. That's what guitar stands are for. You really set yourself up for this accident, since it was foreseeable and has probably happened to most of the members of TB in the exact same way at one time or another.

7. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    [​IMG]

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    ?

The venue's insurance company if it was their fault (one of their guys damaged it, they didn't provide adequate security and it was stolen or someone in the audience damaged it, etc), or your insurance company if you can't get their insurance co to take care of it (or if they lack that sort of insurance).

Do you gig without insurance on your gear? You shouldn't. If you do, guess who pays for damaged equipment, regardless of who's at fault! :smug:

9. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    if it Helps i had a 84 BC Rich Warlock back in the day, we were playing a show and near the end we started doing a cover of Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer... the crowd went into a instand mosh frenzy meanwhile the bar we were playing at and an "Area" for the band rather than an actual stage and some moron came windmilling into the stage area slammed into me and knocked me over (i wasn't expecting the hit) when i fell and the way i fell onto the hard floor the headstock hit the ground and i broke the neck. However because i was the one that fell i had to take the hit on getting my warlock fixed.

The Moral of the story here is they will look for any loophole they can to not give you money for your equipment despite the fact you were not at fault for it being damaged ... unless you were required by a class to have your bass set up in that spot you have little chance of getting any money for it

10. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    If it was me, my insurer would pay, and then they'd go after the guy who did the damage to extract payment from him.

Seriously, the dude broke it. If he scratched your car in a public road he'd have to pay - his argument is worthless.

If you have student union insurance it's not your insurance, it's his insurance that's needed. For his mistake. Surely!

11. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    To the OP,

Your insurance company.

Insure your equipment and you won't have nightmares later on.