Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

if given these choices ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johans, Jan 4, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys ... i need your opinions :)

i own a 5 string fretted bass .. and looking to add another bass ... if you were I, what will you get .. and what's your reasons ...

- a fretless bass
    - an acoustic bass
    - a 6 string fretted ...
    - some 7,8,9... fretted
    - others?

2. Stingray Fretless 5.. to match yours (you'd be proud of this one too)

:D

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What do you want to be able to do that you can't do on your Stingray?

A fretless adds another dimension to what you already have.

If your style includes a lot of solos or chords a 6 or 7 string...

Friend and TalkBass member Eli is a solo, chord playing maniac and loves his fretted and fretless 7s... On more than one occassion he's mentioned that in certain instances a 5 would be great for low end groovin'. Since you've got that covered with your fretted Stingray 5, how 'bout going wild with a fretless 7?

What's your budget?

4. If you want to play something similar to your 5 string fretted, I'd say get a 5 string fretless for the nice difference in tone color. Then you can switch between the two without too much adjustment.

If you want something really different, get an electric upright bass (or a real double bass if you're really adventurous), which is quite a beast, but nice in it's own way. That will change and shape your approach to bass in various ways.

5. fretless; I have been gassin' for one for a while now.

6. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    personally .. i am quite satisfied with my fretted 5, and i am really really .. not aware what else i can learn and do with other basses .. all your tips and opinions are really great :)

i used to own a 6 string... but back then i wasnt aware of solo and chord, now i just started to pick up some melodic and chord ...

as for fretless, i never really play one, i kinda like how it plays .. but i dont know if i really need one :)

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I agree with the consensus: a fretless would be my first choice for an alternative (and is). But even there you've got options - in electric, a basic four (or several more); traditional acoustic upright or electric upright hybrid - nary a fret amongst 'em. Depends on whether you favor the acoustic vibe - or not...

Me? Don't care much for acoustic bass. I'm solving the dilemna with multiple alternatives: got me a fretted 4, gonna get a virtually identical fretless 4, then a fretted 5 - strung EADGC, which I will play either pickstyle or tapping - so as to satisfy my craving for cool chordal solo material (with which I'll use lots of digital delay, flanging, and other effects)...

MM

8. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    nice :)

sounds like most will go with a fretless ..
    okay .. in that case ..
    which fretless do you think i need?

do i just settle with 4 ..? get a 5 ...? or some other extended-range fretless?

9. comfortable with your fretted five, get a fretless five. conklin makes a good one. I plan on converting my old p-bass.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    johans...if you spend most of your time in the "money position" (i.e. below the 5th fret) stick with a fretless 5. If you venture higher on a frequent basis, I'd consider a 6 or 7 string...

11. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If you really spend your time in the "money position," I'd argue you probably shouldn't be playing a 5 at all -- a 4 with a detuner will work just fine. The main value of a 5 is in playing up the neck but still getting the low notes you would with a 4 in the first position. If you play above the 5th fret on the G string a lot, you might want a 6 or 7, though unless you're doing a great deal or solo and/or chord work, I've never seen much point in a 6 or 7.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    For a fretless, I would recommend a Pedulla or Modulus. Primarily because of the fretboards. The graphite fretboards on the modulus is awesome. Zons are also a great choice. How much do you want to spend?

13. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    to be frank ..

not really much .. as in, that's why i really want to hear all opinions and advantages before i really think of purchasing
    since this will be like my first fretless .. what do you guys think if i start cheap? :p

i was looking at some fretless at Rondo's ... seems promising to me ..

14. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    meanwhile im still deciding on which to go .. can any of you tell me more about fretless, what's the advantages, what's the disadvantages, ie what do you really want to dig of a fretless bass .. also will you be able to play some melody from a fretless as clear and crisp as from a fretted?

thanks

15. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a fretless 5 and I love the bass. But when I want to do more chordal type work, I prefer my fretted 6. If you want to expand your chord repertoire, I'd go for a 6 or more string fretted. If you want to work more on expression, I'd get a fretless 5, since you already have the fretted 5.

16. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If you're going to go cheap, I'd suggest a fretless 4. You'll always pay less for a 4 than for an equivalent 5 (or stated differently, at any fixed price, you'll can always get a better 4 than a 5), and the B-string is the part of a cheap 5 that's likely to suffer the most. And I think you'll find a fretless 4 much different in lots of respects from your current fretted 5.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look around for a used MIM jazz, maybe like this one:

MIM Jazz Fretless 4 on Ebay

If you could get it for $250-300, it looks like a very nice deal.

17. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    never played thru a fender fretless :)
    are they ok? how do they feel etc? i used to own a fender standard jazz v, so yeah, i like their tone as well :)

18. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi :)
    so in your opinion .. rather than getting some fretless 5 cheap, i rather get a more decent brand fretless 4 .. ? :)

thanks

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY

Definitely. A quality four-string trumps a mediocre five-string any day of the week...

MM

20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I also own a MIJ 4 string jazz that I have had for over 10 years... It has EMGs and a leo quan bridge. Great sounding bass. I still take it out to gigs. Try the fender you can't go wrong