Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If Hub's comments angered you...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Martin contracts Oasis Fever, I guess.
    What twits...some things are best left unsaid,
    even if you believe it.

MACCA'S NOT FIT TO CLEAN MY SHOES ...
    SAYS COLDPLAY'S CHRIS MARTIN

It could have been a rush of blood to the head, but Coldplay singer Chris Martin often thinks Paul McCartney isn't fit to clean his shoes.

The shocking admission comes as Chris takes Britain's hottest band into rehearsals for their forthcoming headlining appearance at this year's 10th birthday T in the Park.

And he says he isn't the only member of Coldplay - who have enjoyed two chart-topping albums - to rate themselves and their achievements above The Beatles.

At least Chris is quick to point out he only thinks Macca should be his boot boy half the time.

Chris, who rarely agrees to interviews, says, "It's a weird mix being in our band. One half of us thinks we're better than The Beatles, the other half thinks we don't deserve to have two people come to our shows, let alone two million. But, while part of me does think Paul McCartney should clean my boots, I must admit the other half thinks I should clean his. That keeps you kind of grounded."

Chris, bassist Guy Berryman, guitarist Jonny Buckland and drummer Will Champion have enjoyed a meteoric rise to fame since the release of their 2000 album, "Parachutes."

The band's follow-up, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head," has made huge inroads on both sides of the Atlantic. "Singles Trouble," "In My Place," "The Scientist" and runaway debut "Yellow" have all been hits. But the band are still some way off matching the credentials of Macca's old band - and that's putting it mildly.

The Beatles had 17 No.1 singles, including 11 consecutive No.1's and were responsible for heavyweight classic albums "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club," "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver."

Coldplay are yet to generate the kind of hysteria Macca and his bandmates once did, but their crowd-pulling power will definitely put smug smiles on the faces of T in the Park organizers.

CHRIS MARTIN VS SIR PAUL McCARTNEY

CHRIS - Coldplay albums "Parachutes" and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" have been hits on both sides of the Atlantic. Singles include "Trouble," "Yellow," "In My Place" and "The Scientist."

PAUL - Co-wrote 17 No.1 singles for The Beatles, including 11 consecutive chart-toppers such as "She Loves You" and "Hey Jude." Albums such as "Sgt. Pepper" and "Revolver" are all-time classics.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That half is wrong :D

3. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    "Chris, who rarely agrees to interviews"
    Hmmm? Could there be a reason for this?

(sample from the next coldplay interview)
    Christ Martin: We're bigger than Jesus and Allah dammit!
    (cue angry mob)~Josh

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, we'll see whose songs are considered classics in 20 years....

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Pretty much says it all.

Acts like Duran Duran, New Kids on the Block, MC Hammer, and the Spice Girls were huge during their 15 minutes. Much bigger than Coldplay. Aside from bass players who tout John Taylor as an early influence, nobody speaks of these groups anymore.

This does remind me of one of Liam Gallagher's drunken declarations. Humorous, but not to be taken seriously.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

I recall it as more of a statement from an interview. I probably read it from casual attention to Rolling Stone magazine.

He very well may have said something to that effect on the VH1 Oasis thing, but it's even harder to decipher what he's saying than it is to understand Ozzy.

7. Seems alot of musicians these days need to be following the old saying, "Better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're an idiot, than open it up and prove them right".

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    :rolleyes:

I'll save you guys the trouble -

Ferberberberber! Beatles! Coldplay? Ferberberberber!

10. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I also seem to remember back in the 80's someone from Human League claiming that they were going to be bigger than the Beatles when "Don't you want me baby" hit #1. Guess they are still working on that.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Wasn't it P.T. Barnum who said "there's no such thing as bad publicity"? Obviously this is not always true, but Beatle-bashing does seem to be a very popular way to get your band some free pub.

To put it another way, the Coldplay bassist is simply a troll. ;)

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

That keeps you kind of grounded.

WHAT???

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Those kinds of interviews are a traditional marketing tool of Brit(ish) pop bands (cf. Oasis/Gallagher bros.).

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You are the man! Dragging up an old Mark Twain quote.

For historical accuracy, I believe it goes:
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

I am now without doubt.

15. Traditional kind of interview by the British press too..... :rolleyes:

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Actually, it's an old Irish proverb. ;)

17. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I seem to remember Hall & Oats making a statement at one point that in 20 or so years their songs would be just as memorable as Lennon & McCartney's.

...yeah, right!

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Well the guy from Dokken once said that they were as good as, if not better than Led Zepplin.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhhhh ... what?