Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If i bought an Amp head in the USA.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felch182, Jan 28, 2006.

1. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Could i use it in Australia with an ordinary power adaptor?:meh:

2. Jimmy-X

Jimmy-X

Jan 1, 2006
    Ahhh.... we're all thinking the same thing.
    I'm wondering if you could buy the 240v export model direct from the distributers or factory whilst in the US.......

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Which amp? If it's from a manufacturer that already exports to Australia (or other 240V nations), it's probably got a transformer inside it that can be set to the correct voltage with a few internal adjustments.

If not, you'll need to buy a seperate stepdown transformer from somewhere like Jaycar electronics. Be careful if you go this route. Make sure the amp never gets accidentally pluged in without the transformer. Be careful who you lend it to, and be careful about who you let set up for you.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    A power amplifier requires a bit of current. So the adaptor would probably have to be rather big and heavy - about the same size and weight as the internal power transformer, which often makes up more than half of the total weight of a solid state head. (less on tube heads because of their heavy output transformer)
    So, for an amplifier head, that would IMO not be an elegant solution.

If, OTOH, the internal power transformer is made in such a way that it can be re-wired for 240 volt operation, then it is another matter. But it isn't easy to tell if this is possible without looking at, or sometimes inside, the amp itself.