1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I buy this from America, will it work in Australia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rainmaker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Jan 2, 2008
    The X2 Wireless System.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--XTDXDS95

Australia uses different power than America, but does it matter if it's powered by battery?

What should happen if I wanted to power through A/C down the track?

Cheers

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    huh? through what track?

If it's powered by battery, does it matter?

3. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Are you concerned about an auxiliary power supply? Is that what you're talking about? I honestly have no clue to how THEY do it elsewhere. You're the only one that can judge the output of your whatever system.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It uses a 9 volt supply. Any regulated 9 volt DC adapter from Aussie land should work. A Visual Sound 1-Spot will convert 240.

5. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    The link provided says "Optional AC supply (compatible with PSA120 type)"

Based on that, you should be able to just pick up the appropriate wall wart AC supply from a Dick Smith (or other electronics store). The picture below is a PSA120 type AC supply
    PSA-120_1-ca32d886fee6130b476b16f5d90d1774.jpg

Should be fine. I lived in NZ for several years and used my Zoom pedals down there no problem with the correct AC wall wart plugs.

6. Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Jan 2, 2008
    Thanks for your quick replies, fellas!

I have a wireless unit from America that's gotta be plugged in - on the back of the unit it states that it's 120V. Australia runs on 240V, so I wasn't able to use it.

Just wondered if I would come across the same problem here, but thankfully it doesn't seem to be the case!

7. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    You can buy a voltage stepup transformer from Dick Smith for that other wireless unit as well- they're a bit pricey(~$75AU), but if it makes it possible for you to use the equipment it's not a bad investment.

I ran my 110v combo amp on a stepup transformer down in NZ for 4 years with no adverse effects. The only place you might run into trouble is if the gear has a cooling fan or any kind of motor- you can convert the 110 into 240 with a stepup transformer, but there is a difference in the cycles (50Hz v 60Hz) which will make anything like power tools or motorized gear pretty much useless.

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Rainmaker,

There is an Aussie TBer who bought an Ampeg head from the states and had a technician swap out the 120V cord and make the amp run on 240V. It seemed to work all very well. I can't quite remember how much he said it cost him but I doubt it would be any more than a $100 job. You could probably get it done to your wireless unit if you still want to use it. Best not let it go to waste!

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That job involves changing the power transformer, and I can guarantee that that job was more than 100 dollars. But, for a small load like a wireless with an AC input, a transformer would work ok. For a wireless like the X2, with an external power supply, a simple Boss PSA style adapter would work fine. One of those switch-mode power supplies that can take anything above 110 volts would work fine for that.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021