1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I can't affor an Deluxe P but want a good bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cooldude_832, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

Sep 28, 2008
    Hi I'm new here

I've been playing on a handed down Squire for about a year and I've think I've out grown it cause I find it difficult to play and the sound out of it to be terrible.

I played a fender deluxe P-special at guitar center and almost bought it till I saw the price.

Any way to get a good sound on a budget of 200-300?

Also I'm looking to up my amp (i've got a fender 60 watt rumble and with the horrible pickups on the squire its junk).

I have a spare channel on a QSC 2450 that I can drive up to 400 watts to a cab. I like the GK goldline and its in my budget does this sound reasonable? Also what should I do to route the bass sound into the QSC amp if I do it that way.

What I play is mostly RHCP new stuff, mostly stadium arcadium and when I get into the more demanding songs the squire just quits (like can't stop or tell me baby). I play a lot of classic rock too but that stuff is so simple to play decently that I'm not concerned about optimizing my rig for it.

As for sound volume if I go play any where big there is always a backline rental so I don't need to worry about going insane (and the 4x10 goodline should be enough power for a venue up to 1-2k ppl)

Thanks

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Get a set-up on your Squire, save for awhile, and buy something nice in the classifieds.

3. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

Sep 28, 2008
    where should I get the setup done (some private shop or a big store?)

4. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Look for the same bass in the used market, you may not be as far as you think. If you're patient and wait on the right basses to come along you can get some great ones in your price range.

There's a Yamaha BB605 in the classifieds for $300, those are nice, IMO.

But yes, a set-up will do wonders for your Squier... Check in your area for a repair shop, if not ask one of the guys at GC to see if they know anyone in the area.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I wouldn't get at GC, you can go to a smaller shop to have a set up done for cheaper thats often far better to GC setups.

Hell, if you're that worried, you can always swap pickups. Something else that you could pick up cheap in the TB classifieds. :p

6. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    When shopping for a new bass I played a Laguna that sounded like a bass twice the price. Really punchy and trebly, would be good for RHCP stuff. Check them out.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Isn't Laguna one of the GC house brands?

If its the one I'm thinking about, steer clear. They're... fragile to say the least.

8. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    guitar works hooked my up with a shiny new ibanez sr400qm for 339 the retail was some were arround 700.
    shop arround and play everything.

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I think you'll get the best value by looking for something used , maybe get a MIM Jazz Bass or something like that , swap the pickups and you'll be good to go

10. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Squier Vintage Modified - $280
    Squier Classic Vibe - $300
    Used Made-In-Mexico Fender - $200-300, depending
    SX LTD bass - $180

Of course that's all assuming you want a Fender-pattern instrument.

11. +1

12. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    SVM JB. +1.

13. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Squier, SQUIER SQUIEEEEERRR GOD DA***T ! SQUIER !!!!!!!!

Your welcome.

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow... grammar nazi much? :rolleyes:

With ironic mistake in his own post. :p

15. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    Squier is okay, but remember you gotta "maximise" your fingers in order to get your playing sounds good.

16. robin red bass

robin red bass

Sep 22, 2008
    wrexham
    Get the bass set up, cleaned, new strings, you could change pick ups and the eq and itd make it sound a lot better. get someone who knows what theyre doing though otherwise you could shell out for the stuff and get an un useable bass back.

17. Great advice: It's like with cars, you know? You buy a new car (but why?) and as soon as you drive it off the lot, it depreciates by (any car dealers on-board?) way too much.

Such is the case with the spanking-new gear you might purchase @ Wal-Music.

Instead, find an honest, say, TB'er (like on e-bay, the sellers get reviewed) who's selling what you need. You often find bargains for near-mint equipment: How's paying 33% of the Wal-Music price sound to you? No, no, I do not sell. I am purely objectively noting that getting a basically new $1800 USD amp for $600 USD is amazing! :hyper:

18. ...as you astutely observed here. Who cares how an arbitrarily chosen brand name is spelled?

Go rake some leaves or read the newspaper. Oh $#@! I need to go rake some leaves and cut some vines and go to work.

Bye, English majors.

19. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

Sep 28, 2008
    So from an overwhelming concensesious I see I should go and get a set up done on it.

Now if the setup says its in good shape (next straight etc.) should I continue and throw a few more bucks in it and upgrade the pickups?

Also anyone have a comment on my amp situation

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Upgrade your amp before you worry about the p/u's on your Squier.

You'll get a lot more milage out of a good amp, than upgraded p/u's through a practice amp.