If I can't afford a new cab, can I just use PA speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpillow, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mrpillow

mrpillow

Jun 1, 2008
    Montgomery, TX
    I have no money for a new bass cab, but we have 2 spare 2x15's and 2 spare 1x10's. Could I just hook up my head to some combination of these, assuming the ohms and watts are acceptable, and get decent enough sound in the mean time?

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah. I mean, they run the bass through the PA at gigs anyway, eh? Go with the 2x15s, though. They should be a little more durable than 1x10s. And listen out for the farting - don't ride that bass too high. PA mains are usually paired with subs, so they don't have the same demands (or design constraints) as bass cabs.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    One 15 should do ya, unless its a super loud band. Being full range, it might not have the same lows as a bass cab. Bass cabs are designed/tuned specifically for bass frequencies.

I'm sure it would work okay though.

4. Yep the 2x15 cabs should sound pretty good! By not riding the bass to hi written above by Nick Kay, I think he means don't turn up the bass too high on yr amp or (if U use an)active bass. AS long as the impedance matches & U DO listen out 4 farting spkrs-you shouldbe fine!

5. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Plug it in, play, listen, and tweak the knobs. It can be done, I've been there. I've had gear crap out on me and needed to use other gear not designed for bass that I and my bandmates had to do the job. Sound may not be ideal but who's to say what an ideal sound is. I've gotten better tone out of some makeshift rigs than out of dedicated rigs. If it'll do the job use it. If not, go shopping.
    Wish you well.
    KLL

"We have to make this do the job of this using nothing but this."
    Mission Control, Apollo 13

"Use your knobs."
    Chef Emeril Lagasse

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021