Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If I change from 250K volume pots to 500k, do I also have to change the tone control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 13, 2005.

1. so I'm thinking about going from 250K to 500K for more top end... do I have to change the tone control then too?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
  3. that's clever...while you're at it, modern growl, I'd still buy that 500k pot for the tone control...two reasons...

1...if you mess up on the nail polish mod of your existing tone pot...this mod involves taking the pot apart and then (the tough part) putting it back together again.

2...a 500k tone pot will have more of an affect on taking the tone control out of the picture than an unmodded 250k pot for sure...and Yes, the reasoning does hold true that a 1M pot will have even more effect. but you will reach a point where your ears just can't tell anymore. (I suspect beyond 1M).

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yes, if you don't feel comfortable modding a pot (though it's easy), 500K will give you a bit more high end than 250K. But you don't have to swap it out.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I doubt you will hear it.

[​IMG]