If I dood it, I get a whippin'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adouglas, Aug 25, 2005.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I dood it!

(Bugs Bunny fans will know the reference.)

Darn those guys at basscentral. They are evil. EVIL, I say!

I emailed them today asking after the price of a Bongo equipped, but not colored, the way I want, and was informed that the exact Bongo I'm GASing for just happens to be in the pipeline (fretted 5, HH w/piezo, Desert Gold...which is pretty rare, as it turns out...email exchanges with EBMM indicated that such a bass does not currently exist in inventory, anywhere).

I did a bit of dickering, and wound up dropping a deposit on it.

Gad, I feel like such a traitor. I really love my current bass, a 1997 Carvin LB75A that I've hotrodded with Bartolini pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. It's a tone monster, and a great instrument. A bit pimpy and over the top for my tastes with gold hardware, quilt top and abalone block inlays, but what the heck...it plays and sounds great.

But I made the mistake of picking up a Bongo at GC some weeks ago and was mightily impressed. It really turned my head, and I've been GASing ever since.

An unfortunate fact of marital and financial life is that I can only have two basses, one fretted and one fretless. So if I'm really going to become a Bongoloid, I'll have to make a choice. I'll have to do a straight shootout between a Bongo and my Carvin, using my own rig. Winner stays in the bed, loser gets cab fare.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. My current inclination is to go to one of the local Guitar Centers and actually buy a HH Bongo 5, keep it for a few days to do the test, and return it. I'm mildly troubled by the ethics of that...buying an instrument knowing up front that I'm going to take it back...but it is Guitar Center, after all, and I'd never buy an instrument from them under any circumstances anyway.

And I still think it looks like a....um....never mind.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Since your fave music store is so much better, see if they will let you do this. :)
  3. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Tell them your situation, they'll probably have you buy it or get your credit card info or something and let you try it for a week so you can't screw them over, and then if you dislike it you just bring it back. A local store let my dad do this with a guitar pedal that he didn't end up keeping because he liked it in the store but on his home gear it sounded like crap.
  4. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    But that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing at GC, in effect. I'd just be making use of their own return policy. The only cost to them would be some paperwork and being without the bass for a few days.

The only ethical dilemma involves not TELLING them that I intend to return it. The same dilemma applies to a local store.

The key difference between this situation and your dad's is that had he liked the pedal, he would have kept it. He wasn't intending to return it from thet get-go. I am, without doubt.

From the retailer's point of view it makes no difference...at the end of the day they've got the product back on the floor. It's a matter of straight ethics.

I could tell a half-truth. I really don't want a HH bongo, I want one with a piezo bridge. I could "borrow" GC's HH, telling them up front that I will definitely be returning it after the test because I want a piezo-bridge model, not an HH. This is true. The half part of it would be that I would not be ordering the piezo model from them.