1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I flip a bass upside down?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 25oclock, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    So there's a jazz bass I really like, but it's a lefty and I'm a right hand player. Other than having the control knobs and tuning pegs in a weird place, what other issues might I have if I flip the bass over? Any first hand experience out there?

Thanks

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've seen it. It doesn't look comfortable. It'll work with a new nut and set up.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It will not balance for poopiee. I know, I'm a lefty that plays flipped righties all the time. With elevntybillion righty Jazz's out there, I'm curious why you would do this.

4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It's been done a million times, but isn't ideal. The knobs will be under your forearm (put elastic bands under them to make them harder to turn) and the balance will probably be way way off. If the nut was properly made, you CAN NOT turn it around. Have the conversion done by a pro.

GrantR likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Replace the nut, as has been mentioned, drill a new strap button onto the short horn, and figure out if you can live with not having side dot markers.
    Oh, and most Fender lefties use normal pots wired backwards so the taper isn't the same. They essentially function as on/off switches.

6. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Thanks for the feedback. It's a medium scale.

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    You are over-complicating this. Why cause a bunch of problems. Just find a good righty.