1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I get a 5'er...Stupidness lies ahead

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    If I get a five string, can I tune to drop C? A band I like a lot uses a 5'er and I believe the guitars are tuned to drop c, so what's the bass tuned to? Sorry, I'm not good with all this stuff. All I know about basses (pretty much) is the number of strings, pups, and standard tunings.

2. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    one of the advantages to a 5 string is you will have access to lower registers without having to detune or drop tune. you will be able to play in C in a closed position without having to alter the tuning of the bass. if you are a strictly tablature player that may be an issue, but if you know the notes on your bass and have a good ear its not a problem.

3. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    I pretty much go off tabs, so can I get an open C?

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Tuning on a 5'er is (from thinnest to thickest): G-D-A-E-B

You will have a low-b string that is half step lower than a 4-string tuned to drop C, thus negating the need to adjust your tuning at all. 5'ers are nice if you want to keep from having to tune down a lot...they are also great for having more flexibility and range playing in the upper registers. Which 5'er are you looking at?

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You would get a fretted C, 1st fret on the B string.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Of course, you COULD tune your bottom string to C if you wanted - or to A, for that matter.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Yeah, instead of drop C, you could tune up to C. Make sure the bass you get has a solid neck and truss rod(s).

8. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    Okay, right now the only thing I could get (if I ever find a job) would be the Ibanez GSR205 (LEFTY) because I'm just not at that point in my playing where I could justify anything over $400 USD.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just my opinion, but get what you like the most and can afford to get. If you can't afford any more than that, it's perfectly fine, but don't be afraid to put a little more money in for something with better quality. A better-made instrument will stay with you longer and encourage you to play more! :hyper:

10. Standard 5 tuning is BEADG

Drop C is CGCF

If you got light strings, you could tune it CGCFA#

I would have a luthier set it up in that tuning.

I would honestly expand your musicianship and try to play it on a 5 string. That's not always possible for some songs though.

If you're getting it retuned, why not just use a 4 string?

11. Airskank

Airskank

Jun 17, 2011
    isn't it stupidity?

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Stupidness lies ahead, but stupidity never rests. :bag:

13. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    How about this for taking the concept further... getting a 6 string and tuning F#-B-E-A-D-G :p

14. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I think that kind of tuning will give you floppiness that even viagara won't help.

15. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    So...I'm guessing a 4 string would be best?

16. Like someone else said - drop C applies to a 4banger tuned CGCF. If you're going that route - forget the GSR, and go with a SR300 - it comes in a lefty, and has superior electronics.

If you want you can get a 5er (standard tuning BEADG), and capo the 1st fret ... that might be the easiest.

17. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Which band?

18. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

You could always do F-C-G-C-G. That can be fun. For god's sake get a heavy gauge for the B (in standard) string. I goof with that now and again and it can be kind of fun to get into an even lower register.

19. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm curious as well. I know the human abstract's bassist on their first album tuned (low to high) ACGCF, and that periphery likes to tune their basses to GCGCF for their drop C stuff.

And OP- I play 5s pretty much exclusively. If I can play a song without drop tuning, I will. But sometimes certain passages are hard to do without the open C, so I'll drop tune to play along to those songs. When I do drop C, I do the first tuning I mentioned (ACGCF).

20. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    It's a band called Whitechapel. They're (I believe) deathcore. Lyrics are NSFW.