1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I get a 5'er...Stupidness lies ahead

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I think Low C would be better (low to high) : A-C-G-C-F or tune the low B to a low G :)

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    oh yeah I forgot : Drop C tuning means you only detune 1 string most of the time (especially 4 strings). If you would like to tune all your strings lower (like I mentioned in my previous comment) it's called Low C tuning. I think you meant that :p

3. That's what I would do. Get some DDT strings, and drop it to CGCF, or CFBbEb.

4. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Get a Schecter, you won't regret it.

5. I had my 5 string Spector tuned D G C F A# for a bit and really dug the sound and lax feel of the strings. The tone of an instrument def takes on a different character with dropped tunings plus I got a bit of extended range which was great for chording.

My current band plays in drop D down 1/2 step (C#, G#, C#ect.) which is neither here nor there for a 5 string. I've tried dropping the B to A# to G# to maintain a 5th below the C# and hate it. If I leave it as A# it still doesn't sound great and I can't wrap my mind around what to do 6th below option... Plus , a rarely use anything past the first 2 strings anyhoo so the extended range does nothing for me. I prefer my 4 strings in is context tuned to match the guitars with a .110 for the low C#. I'd probably go .115 -.120 for C tuning.

Clear as mud?

6. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    Sounds like I meant low C. Lol. And I suppose another great bass player (Paul Gray, RIP) did tune a 4 string BEAD. So, I could do that when playing some Slipknot.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Correct! And since your 5 string is tuned BEADG if standard, you can easily pull it off :) If you got more question, don't hesitate to ask :p

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just curious - why wouldn't drop C tuning be CFA[SUP]#[/SUP]D[SUP]#[/SUP]G[SUP]#[/SUP]?

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Because that would be standard C tuning. "Drop" tuning has a string not tuned to the fourth.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aha. Thanks.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Tons of bands play in Drop C, even more probably play in C standard.... they all steal it from Black Sabbath... like pretty much everything to do with metal...

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Upright acoustic players who use a low C on their 5 tune it C E A D G.

13. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I know. I meant which band BassPlayer95 wanted to play along to.

14. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    Whitechapel, August Burns Red, Bring Me The Horizon, Chelsea Grin, etc.