Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If I get a new 6 string, Warmoth or ~ $ for Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Aug 26, 2004.

1. I've done two bass projects that I've posted here a few times. A 5 string fretless and the Extreme Makeover - Bass edition.

At some point in the future, though, I'd like to move up [evolve] to a 6 string, which is where I'd end the search for more strings on a bass. Anyway, when I eventually do this, I have two options.

Option 1) I could try my hand [again] at doing one myself, such as going to Warmoth and doing a [gecko-less neck] Gecko 6 string bass, including all the hardware from Warmoth, then buying two Bartolini pickups and a 3 eq band preamp module. I'd like something in the spalted look, including matching head.

Option 2) Just spend the extra [probably twice the amount of the Warmoth option] cash and buy a spalted Roscoe 6 string and save myself a lot of work and possible trouble.

I thank you for your input. :)

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dave,

What's your budget?

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Tough choice. Making your own of course would be rewarding in its own right, and have that one of a kind type feeling. However Roscoe's are incredible basses as well. Being the unmotivated and somewhat lazy person I am, I can tell you which route Id take. I do still have a dream to build something of my own someday though :)

4. When I actually DO get a 6 string bass, it will be after all bills are paid off, so cost won't be MUCH of a factor. That was a good question, BTW. ;)

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There are quite a few used Roscoes around nowadays, so definately try to get used - that will save you a lot of money.
    $0.02

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Go for the Roscoe. I have one and I can't recommend a Roscoe enough. Spend the extra dough, you'll be very happy.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but why make those the only two options? If you don't go the make-it-yourself route, it isn't clear what the rationale would be for limiting yourself to considering only one luthier. Roscoe is indeed a fine bass, from the specimens I've seen, but there are a number of other folks who could make you a nice 6 as well.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Good point, go check out Dingwall's too :)

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I ask for a couple of reasons...

Building a Gecko WILL be cheaper than buying a Roscoe.
    BUT, there's a certain pride of ownership that comes with, owning a piece like a Roscoe or an F-Bass, etc...

The real questions is: Is it worth it, TO YOU, to spend an extra $1000 or so to have that pride in ownership, that brand clout, so to speak....

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you'd like, send me an email and I'll send you some sound clips of my Roscoe SKB3006. emjazz@hotmail.com

11. *revised*

Option 2) Blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda spalted Roscoe, MTD, or Fodera blah blah blah blah

Is that better? :smug:

Ultimately, those are my top choices as far as their design and sound.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey, not trying to bust your chops, my bass-playing brother, just suggesting that more choice is a good thing. Personally, I'd look also at Nordstrand, Hanewinckel, F Bass, David King, Elrick, Ken Bebensee, Brubaker, Bee Bass, Laurence Mollerup,and others ... and that's just in North America. But I don't think you can go wrong with the three you mention. IMHO, any would be a level up from a Warmoth, and that's not any knock on Warmoth. Of the three, my admittedly opinionated bias would be for MTD, in the 24 fret version. FWIW, which is exactly what you paid for it. ;)

13. Well, I'm thinking of instruments that I can readily get in my city. I'm not brave enough to order without seeing/playing, and then having it shipped.

However, I'll have to do a look up on those to see what they [at least] look like.

Oh, also [and to throw into the mix], I'm probably going to go with a bolt on neck option. I'm sure the neck through body is very nice, but a bolt on would be some 'cheaper' and will still sound awesome.

14. Just went to the Nordstrand page.

[​IMG]

Yowwzers!!! Very nice looking!!

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's what I did with my Shukers. Don't regret it a bit.

As for trying before you buy, too bad you're not in NYC. There's a guy around named Joey G who has a loft full of instruments from small bass makers, many European. www.joeygmusic.com

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Jorg Shroeder has a beautiful Benevente as well, along the lines your looking for looks wise it seems:

[​IMG]

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's who ended up with that beauty.

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yep, thats me holding it, not Jorg, but yeah :)

19. Can someone post the webpage for Benevente? Thanks!

By the way, my personal likes are for just showing the black pickup rather than the covers. Just how I like them to be. :)

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.