Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

if i got a MIM Jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    and i wanted to upgrade...
    would u recommend American Jazz Pickups...or SD-1/4 pounders..
    or anything else..

im sorry..i dont know much about pickups. (still an amature)

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Depending on the sound you want, I would actually recommend DiMarzios.

I have 2 MIM jazz basses; a 2000 fretted, and a 2002 fretless.

For a more modern type of sound, I would say go for the DiMarzio Ultra jazz pickups. Email Dimarzio, and get the wiring diagram that will allow you to wire them to push/pull volume pots, for a series/parallel option. Many tones are available this way.

For a more traditional sound, go for the Model J's. The wiring diagram will work for these too.

You can get a great deal on these, and the push/pull pots from Brian at www.bestbassgear.com. Excellent service IMHO.

You can also check out Smash's mega thread on jazz bass pickups at the top of this forum. He's reviewed just about every J pickup there is! (DiMarzio Model J's rated well FWIW)

Hope that was helpful! :hyper:

3. Smash's guide on Jazz pickups is a great resource. Check it out, he gives a lot of detail so you can try to get the sound you're looking for.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks alot..i read through all of his reviews..and ill have to check out those dimarzios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.