1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I had a nickel...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustang Surly, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    ...for every on-line bass auction in which the owner fails to mention the instrument's scale length in his description, I'd be able to afford to buy them all just to find out what their scale lengths were.

If it's a Fender, okay: unless it's a Mustang or Musicmaster, one can reasonably assume that it's a 34"-er. But with the plethora of obscure, off-brand and boutique stuff floating around, it would seem that providing this important piece of data to potential buyers would be a no-brainer.

Evidently not.

Or perhaps tape measure operation is a skill not easily mastered...

2. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    There are some Fenders and Squiers with 32" scales, mostly MIJ IIRC.

3. It seems to me that, especially with 5+ string basses, the absolute minimum details, other than price and brand, should be:

- Scale
    - String spacing/Nut
    - String Spacing/Bridge
    - Weight
    - Why it's the most awesome bass that they'd never thought they'd ever part with and how they can't believe they are doing what they said they'd never, ever do.

This goes for manufacturers' websites as well!

4. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    macmanlou,

Except for those Fenders exclusive to the Japanese market, I think they are all VM Squiers, aren't they? The short and medium scale Japanese Fender auctions usually specify scale length. You generally have to do a metric conversion, but at least the info is there in some form.

5. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Some late 70's Squier Precision (not Bullit or VM) basses are MIJ and 32" scale. IIRC most of the VM Squiers are from Indonesia. The VM Telecaster is 32", VM Jaguars come in 34" and 30". It's confusing enough that oddball Fenders and all Squiers should have their scale length specified in ads.

6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Don't forget neck radius!

7. As previously mentioned, you can never assume anything, especially on the MIJ models from the 1980's where virtually every Fender model was duplicated in 32" medium scale.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to email the seller to tell me the scale length, and usually I have to tell them how to measure it to find out.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

8. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm also surprised weight is omitted a lot on offers AND if mentioned, it's typically with "on the bathroom scale".
    I've learned to take a digital calibrated postal scale with me when shopping for a bass. When comparing this scale weight to the advertised bathroom weight I've NEVER found a match.

9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    the reverse mustang bass with the 2 humbuckers and upside down heardstock is 32" iirc, made in china i think?