Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If I Had Ears On My Knees....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Nov 28, 2004.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I could tell what my Avatar stack sounds like.

The 115 plays to my knees, the 210 to my hips.

Apart from walking around during a song by using the Guitar Bug wireless, anyone have any ideas.

(And kneeling or sitting in front of my amp isn't the solution.)

:help:

2. How about putting something under the 2 x 10 to angle it up more towards your ears? (Unless of course you have a head of something sitting ontop of it, but you could always move that too.)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like to sit in front of my amp :hyper: teehee. I see stars afterwards though.

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Use EQ and set a sound which will make your ears happy in their natural level.. :)

5. I had a similar issue, also with my amp on the floor, the whole house used to shake and buzz - even at fairly low levels, so I made a stand for the amp. An hour or two in the workshop with some scrap steel and my welder, some sand, eight stainless steel bolts, and a can of black paint :bassist:

The stand's leg is filled with sand, the amp sits on four stainless steel bolts with the ends sharpened like pins, and the stand sits on the floor via another four stainless steel bolts with the ends sharpened like pins. This isolates the amp from the floor really well, whilst lifting it to a better level for hearing while I play.

The room still shakes and buzzes a bit when I turn it up, but not anywhere near as bad as it used to, amp sounds great sitting up higher.

Here's a pic. Don't know if it's the sort of thing you're thinking of, but it might help:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

:D

Luke.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Get a roadcase for your cab, then put it all on top of the road case when you set up.

Or, put your rack on the bottom, and the speakers on top.

7. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well, those are some out-of-the-box ideas.

Thanks.

I have one of those "X-style" stands for laying back a small combo amp, but the Avatar short stack is just that, "short".

That "amp case on the bottom" idea has me thinking (that's a dangerous concept in and of itself).

I could put the rack on the bottom, the 210 on top of that, and the 115 on top.

But wouldn't that look ghey? :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I suggest chopping your legs off about halfway down.

10. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Munji, that is exactly what I need!

Thanks! :hyper:

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Your room is MUCH to clean and tidy. You need to leave some socks and paperwork on the floor. If only to make me feel better about my own house. :D

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Set your amp so it sounds good out in the room. Don't worry about how it sounds from your perspective. Even if you bring it up to ear level, it'll sound different to the audience because of dissifraction or recursion or something. :meh: :D

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Since I run through a PA, I could care less how MY amp setup sounds out in the room because I don't control that anyway. Most people can't hear what I'm sounding like onstage anyway, so it's only there for myself and the other band members.

If it sounds like garbage onstage, then I don't usually play as well, because I care less. If you can get your amp up off the floor, so the sound is directed at YOUR ears and get it so you can hear it the way YOU want it, that's the ideal. Most of the time I have my amp directed in such a way that it is ideal for me, but does not directly compete with other band members hearing themselves. I may like it louder than they care to have it, and by having it pointing where I can hear it best, it is not too loud for them then.

I find placement of your amp/cab is more critical than most are aware of. Cab placement is probably more important than amp setting tweaking when it comes to onstage control. Remember, your amp is YOUR bass monitor and the one thing you have complete control over.

Typically the sound onstage is more difficult to control because of the close proximity of all the intruments and the design of the room/stage. Out front is another matter and that's why we use PA's.

Unless you have no PA support, your amplification is YOUR monitor for YOUR bass. It's there for your pleasure and satisfaction. The band should have a good stage volume and tone so everyone can hear each other and enjoy the music. As someone else mentioned, PA support (i.e. - sound REinforcement) is just that...to reinforce the sound you already have onstage.

How many times have you come off stage thinking it sounds like crap up there, only to have trusted friends tell you it sounds great out in the room, or visa versa? Control what you can. There is no perfect place or height, or angle for your cab since every room is different. Experiment. Every gig presents it's own set of acoustic problems and varies with room size, shape and materials in the walls, floors and ceiling. One gig, I might have my cab up on a crate, another it might be angled back against a wall. Yet another gig, my cab might sound best right on the floor. It all depends on the room, and I take the most amount of time maximizing the room/stage acoustics by experimenting on exactly where and how to place my cab. It makes all the difference in the world on how it affects my sound.

14. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    who cares how it looks, if you can hear yourself better, more props to you. and besides, you will be unique. ;)

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  16. Bahaha :D

Yeah, I'm a bit of a neat freak... :bassist: