1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I have a US Sterling that I love, do I need a Stingray Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rdore2000, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    I live in India, and getting my hands on a bass guitar is super difficult unless you place an order for it. I love my EBMM Sterling (USA), and it's extraordinary for sure. I have the means to get a Stingray Special but I'll have to place a special order to get my hands on it. Am I missing out by never having played a Stingray Special?

I love the weight on my Sterling HH, and I'm a fingerstyle player (I've don't slap and I don't intend to start slapping anytime soon). I've heard that the Specials are lighter, and they certainly look cooler, but what am I missing out on, in terms of

1. Feel
    2. Tone
    3. General experience on stage

If I've never tried one?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I also play USA sterlings. Personally, I feel no need or GAS for a stingray as I feel my Sterlings cover all the stingray tones I want and more.
    I also never bonded with the neck of any four string stingray while my sleek sterling Neck is the “bomb dot com”
    I don’t feel I’m missing a thing. In fact, I feel that those who don’t play a sterling are the ones missing out!
    My friend , if you have the money and it’s and itch you need to scratch, go for it and tell us all about your new stingray. (But keep your sterling!)

Arthur U. Poon and Rdore2000 like this.
  3. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    Not letting go of my Sterling, don't you worry. Best bass I've ever played.

Arthur U. Poon and Lesfunk like this.
  4. I’d say your Sterling trumps the Stingray Special, hands down.

5. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    Why do you say that? Heartening to know that, however haha.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  6. Because I feel that the Sterling sounds amazing, and the Stingray Special...not so much.
    Plus it’s like the SR Special is trying to be like the Sterling with the sculpted neck joint, smaller body, and 22 frets...Sterling already had that since 1993.

Rdore2000 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  7. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    I just wonder if the lighter weight and the neodymium magnets are worth it haha

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021