1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If I knew then ...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bssist, Mar 26, 2013.

1. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    If I knew then what I know now, Id've done nothing differently.

I was sent this link to videos of the bass I grew up playing:

http://www.georgedelancey.com/music.html

You can really hear it on "You Don't Know Me".

While I was still working in rock & roll and had no interest in the Real bass, my father quit playing professionally and asked if I had any intention of playing his bass or if he should sell it. Not knowing any better I told him I didn't think I would ever play the upright.

Of course I have spent several years now trying to coax good tone out of lesser instruments. I didn't even have a clear recollection of the sound of that bass. From the time I was big enough to carry it I was tasked with loading it in and out of the car and carrying it in to clubs and festivals; never having a clue what "fully carved" was, that it was actually delicate, or valuable. Hearing that bass again brought back over 30 years of memories and emotions from my life growing up with its constant sound in the air.

Of course, for emotional reasons I now wish I had "inherited" it when I had the opportunity. Seeing the skill and artistry with which it is being played, I am glad it ended up with George. It will contribute far more to the world of music with him than it ever could have with me.

2. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    I think all of us have given up things we now wish we had, just look at the prices of cars from the 70s lol. I like your attitude about what he's doing with it