Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If i like a P bass, will i like a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My local guitar shop doesnt have any stingrays. I was wondering if they play/feel similarly to Fender P basses?

2. They feel a bit like siblings; individual personalities, but, apparently, the same parents.

3. I think the Stingray has more mids, and the pickup position is closer to the bridge, so if you play finger style they're noticeably different playwise. So IMO I think they're fairly different as far as feel and sound goes. But the necks are similar.

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Totally different animals.

StingRay is more like a Jazz bass than a Precision (IMO.)

They can do a decent job replacing one-another, but they are just different basses all together.

I'll let someone else describe all the differences, but in my experience, P's have a big, fat, chunky neck, fewer frets, fatter sound, that low/mid "clunky" P-sound.. a Precision just sounds like a Precision.

A 'Ray has a perfect neck (for me that is).. to me it is right between a Jazz and A P... a very big bottom, yet even tone.. or.. I dunno how to describe it... very flat sounding, piano like.. you can dial in tons of mids, but every note doesn't have the mid-characteristic of a P.... like to me, a P is midrange with or without EQing in more mids.

when you hit an open E on a P, it is like "dong, dong"..
    when you hit an open E on a 'Ray, it is like "bomb, bomb"

I dunno.

5. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I own a P and I've played a Ray, and I can pretty well guarantee that they aren't the same beast. Definately different, but if you like both P and J necks, then I would say you'd definately like the Ray.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You may find the neck feel slightly similar, although the 'Ray neck doesn't have nearly the heft of a Precision. The fingerboard dimensions are about the same but the 'ray neck profile is more like this ")" whereas the the P bass is more like "D".

As for overall feel, they are quite different and completely different animals tonally.

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    A stingray is a stingray. You're going to want to try one out before buying, even if it means a drive.

I've owned both, they are different. Both great, but different.

Good Luck,

Matt

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I was at a friend's house last night. He has a Stingray 4 (I play a 5er) a 60's Jazz and a reasonably new Precision. The precision had the widest string spacing. I thought the Jazz and Stingray had similar sting spacings.

But the big difference isn't so much the feel, it's the sound. Stingray's sound unique and you either love it or you don't. I love mine. Both the Fender's basses sounded boring in comparison. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure there many who would say I've got it back to front.

I wouldn't buy a stingray unless youu've heard one....

9. Braksvenne

Braksvenne

Aug 13, 2003
    Sweden
    I had a Stingray, and loved it. But I wanted a more vintage sounding alternative. So I got myself a P-bass too. And I love it.

The stingray is more modern sounding. It's got a tighter sound than a P. Aside from the difference in sound between the instruments, I also find the P more responsive to how I play. Compared to the P-bass, the stingray sound almost the same no matter how hard or soft I play. The P sounds soft and boomy when plucked soft, but it roars when I play hard.

/Braksvenne

10. To me, a Stingray feels more like a Precision, but sounds more like a Jazz.

A P-bass has a lot more thump, but a Stingray cuts through better. If you get a Stingray, play with all the tone controls - don't be afraid to cut the mids, you can get more of a vintage sound by doing this.

As Chasarms said, the neck profile on the Stingray is a little different. I prefer the Stingray in all aspects, but that's just me.

P-bass
    Jazz bass
    Stingray

All have their strengths.

Mike

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Not necessarily. I have both and I use one when the other doesnt suit my taste for whatever I may be playing. I would say that you should not but a Stingray because you like P basses if thats the question... buy a ray if you want a ray! :rolleyes: :D

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    A StingRay doesn't even sound remotley close to a Jazz bass because 1st of all a Stingray has no low mids what-so-ever like a good jazz bass and the neck isn't like a Jazz ither IMO in fact it's kinda "chunky to me but a preEB MM Sabre is very Jazz like.With that being said I think as 1 person said a Ray is a Ray and you will have to try 1 to see if you will like it or not.All&All it's still a decent bass.Real high quality construction

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have had a couple Rays.

They played well but not awesome.

By biggest gripe was how the notes didnt sound even when playing around the fretboard. Some notes were boomy and others were thin and dead. Maybe it was dead spots?? Either way I didnt like the notes unpredictabilty. If I had to have a single MM pup bass I would get a GR or Warwick FMA(the only Warwick I like). Or a MM with a graphite neck.

14. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never played a Stingray and I can't identify it's sound. What's a good band/artist to look for to hear the 'Stingray sound'?

Are early, early Dream Theater/Majesty demos featuring a Stingray? John Myung's holding a Stingray 4 on the back cover of the first DT CD, and it's a much different sound than later DT recordings..

15. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    For the Stingray sound check out Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mothers Milk." The slap intro to the second song Higher Ground is the very bass line that inspired me to pick up bass ten years ago! :bassist:

16. Also, check out here: www.sade.com

Go to discography, and click on either her CD Promise, or Diamond Life. Very clear Stingray sound there.

Mike

17. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats a Spector, I think. He used the Stingray on One Hot Minute, and a Wal for BSSM. Dillenger Escape Plan's bassist uses a Stingray, thats how they should sound!

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    you must have got a dud Odie. Or I've got a beaut. Mine has no such problems.

Flea definitely played a stingray on "Suck my kiss" and "Aeroplane". Listen to those. But I started gassing for a stingray when as a youngster, I heard a local guy playing one at a gig. I hadn't heard anything like it.

19. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont know about that...

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    A perfect example of a Stingray sound is from Alkaline Trio-just about every song, there's a stingray... Download "I Lied My Face Off"