1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I love SVT's but don't want to play an SVT, I would get a...???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Love SVT tube tone, but want something lighter, more portable and less maintanance. What about a Markbass???

2. All depends what you love about it really. If you like the overdriven tube tone you might want to grab an OD pedal/pre as well.

3. happy with my ashdown abm.

4. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    If possible I would like to keep it as one head unit. Some things I was looking at are Aguilar, Markbass and GK

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll jump in with it before Jimmy does (and he will jump in on this, I'm sure...):

The LMII comes darn close to nailing it.

-Mark

PS-GK is about as far as you're gonna get from the SVT tube tone. Nothing against GK, I've owned it and liked it, but SVT-like it's not.

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1. A lot of folks are singing the praises of the Sansamp VT pedal. I'd be curious to try one with my Walkabout.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]+ SansAmpCS_VTBass-ff018aad5b3a82970e534be3f2933bd6.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Munji and Mark are right. Really, though, you could stick the VT onto any amp and get an SVT sound with it. But the controls are pretty sensitive and some knobs affect the other knobs so it's nice to have a head that's also got an SVT-like sound for tweaking on the fly, so that's why I like the LMII. I'd say that with the LMII, you're 80% there but it doesn't do dirty tones. With the VT, you can get about 90 to 95% of the way there. You can't get it to open up like a tube amp does when you crank volume, or move air around the tone the same way a tube amp does, but you can cop the tones.

*All percentages based on provable scientific measurements known as "sickness" indicators.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    That's sick!:)

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I have a LMII, and it comes pretty close. My Line6 Bass POD xt Live comes much, much closer.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    why not the shuttle 6.0? its my goto *rock* head. plenty of tube girth. and yes, i use it w/ the lows switch on all the time. ;)

12. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    about a sansamp rbi preamp as a thought?

MB

13. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Looks like the Littke Mark is getting lots of love. ( I want to stay away from a pre/power set up....I already have one and want something different)

Do the other Markbass models garner as much praise ???

14. I just put my SVT gear on the market....Moving to Markbass. I was in G.C. Last week playing the LMII combo 102p..... That tiny thing ROCKS!!! paired up w/ one of MB's 15" cabs..... It sounded just as good, if not better than my SVT rig.... The mids really shined!!

Still curious how it will sound on stage, the store doesnt do it justice...

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm happy with what I'm getting with my Line6 X3 Live through a GenzBenz NeoPak. Almost to adaptive at first until you learn to step back and build one core sound first, then other great sounds around that core sound for specific needs.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Seems like this is your answer. I don't even really care for the SVT tone and I am tempted to get a VT.

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am surprised to hear you guys say that the LMII sounds similar to an SVT. I can't really hear it(I have an SA450 which is for the most part identical). I will say though, there are FEW companies out there that give you great tone, and a ton of volume weighing in at only 5-6 lbs!!! I have owned a 70`s SVT, and played through the CL, and the VR, and there is just something unique to an all tube power amp that makes you sit in the mix in a way that I haven`t really experienced with solid state. Not better, or worse, just different. I guess my post is essentially useless in this case....

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you're just talking about the amp, get an SVP-CL or SVP-Pro and a QSC PLX with tons of headroom, and you'll be just fine. Put it in an SKB case to keep the weight down.

On the cab, that's a bit harder if you're used to the 810. If you can get away with a 410HE volume wise, they sound great and are smaller/lighter. If you still need tons of output then I'd recommend and Eden D-410XLT with the tweeter turned off as being on the same tonal page as an 810E, with as much output, in a half size package.

An SVP top with a 410XLT is a very potent rock rig.

19. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's funny because I hear all about the Shuttle being "bass shy", but I'm not engaging the bass boost and in fact am dialing back the bass shelving a couple of clicks. It gets too wooly really quickly for me.

KO

Edit: This is not to imply anything bad about the Shuttle, but more questioning the conventional wisdom of it being "bass shy". I pretty much play the P-Bass full time and when I EQ the Shuttle flat I'm getting more bass than I need or want. Dial it back and I've got a nice punchy tone.

20. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    I'd say ashdown Evo