If I put these under my pickups, will I get better tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JLS, Apr 28, 2012.

1. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    If you think putting a little spring in your tone is a good thing... then yes. :)

3. If copper springs help, then you must also use copper screws. MeThinks!

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Maybe copper pickguard screws?

5. Copper pickguard?

6. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    "Pure Copper Springs".

That's the equivalent of "Solid Marshmallow Bolts".

:rollno:

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Might not help your bass playing, but will make you a better conductor.

8. Yes, these will of course improve your tone..

but I suggest to save your money and buy my copper strings.. their custom, their boutique and their yours for ONLY 69.99$ per string!!!!!!!

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  10. Yep, copper is soft.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    lol ...All I know is "Solid Marshmallow Bolts"

might have serious band name potential...

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    They might, but not for the reason you think. The problem with steel springs under your pickups is that they can vibrate and being steel are magnetic and hence act just like strings and even though they are UNDER the pickups they still can be sensed.

The bottom line is that if you tap on your pickups even without strings on your bass, you may hear this "boing-boing" sound that is the spring vibration being picked up. Proper pickups will produce next to no noise when tapped (with wood or finger, obviously not anything magnetic). The usual fix (assuming there isn't a microphonic pickup problem) is to use foam rubber rather than springs under the pickups.

But foam has a problem of longevity. Eventually it starts to break down, even the rubber kind. Springs do not. So for this reason copper springs sounds like a good idea. And it may be PROVIDED the springs are stiff enough and elastic enough. However copper is a pretty soft metal for springs! You'd have to be sure the "copper" springs are really not magnetic and not some copper plated steel springs.

In short, it's an interesting experiment to solve a long-standing problem. But change your tone? You can forget that one. Anyway, these particular "copper springs" seem too small and too weak to hold up any pickups.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Which spring is best for metal?

Which metal is best for springs?

14. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    FTW

16. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Does any one actually use springs under their pups? Wierd..

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, really. Springs to hold pickups up went out with the Lambada. Everyone uses foam rubber now.

18. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    For some reason, Carvin still sells their new bass pickups with metal springs.

Several places sell the clear silicone tubing - Best Bass Gear for example. This stuff works very well and doesn't seem to break down with age - so far, at least. :)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Actually, silicone tubing does break down with age. I used to have some pickups held up with tubing, and God forbid I ever wanted to raise them, because the tubing would moosh down after a couple years of being in that position and never spring back up. And quite frankly, so will foam unless it's the denser stuff.

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Even MusicMan?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021