1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If I wanted to get a 4th bass, what type should I consider?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, and a Takamine acoustic

Is there something else that would greatly widen my arsenal?

2. I have a Fender Jazz and a Fender Precision. (No acoustic)

I've just acquired an active 5-string with dual humbuckers.
    The next one (and hopefully the last) on my list is an active 5-string PJ.

3. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    MM Stingray?

LoTone, BradH, BK bassist and 17 others like this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Your fourth bass should have a body shape like this:

35FBABCD-D0CF-4323-873A-B79EFB464779.

rugrat, dmt, BradH and 19 others like this.
  5. Double

tmw, Correlli, MNAirHead and 4 others like this.
  6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Something with active electronics and/or humbuckers, EBMM or Warwick come to mind. Also extended range would widen your arsenal.

BK bassist and Wisebass like this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Another vote for something in the Music Man realm, whether an EBMM or an SBMM.

BK bassist likes this.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Roscoe.
    What was the question again ?

Definitely something fretless - that'll keep you busy...

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Sean775 :)

Active?
    DB?
    MM- Ray?
    5 or 6 string?
    Crazy body shape?

I was not fast enough! :laugh:

That said: When you want to stay with passive basses, but change your "range" and sound…

get what I play! :D

Passive, fretless, 5 string with MM- style pup.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    An NS Designs CR5 Fretless.

JRA and RobertUI like this.
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd recommend a five, possibly active with dual humbuckers like a StingrayHH or G&L M-2500. I've had the G&L for a few years, and have discovered I could easily cover everything I do with that and one of my passive J-basses or my G&L SB-2.

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. RaggaDruida

RaggaDruida

Jul 6, 2013
    Fretless, definitely.... Now, for which fretless, I'd go with something like a Sire M7 for maximum versatility or something with a piezo...

gln1955, JRA and RobertUI like this.
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Obviously you've come to the right place with this question! :)

It's all about what kinds of bass are you curious about and think you might be interested in?

So many basses. So little time.

There are different styles of basses like EBMM or active big humbuckers alike Ibanez. There are 8 string or 12 string doubleds, There is semi-hollow body (much less feedback than acoustic). There are Short scale basses, Medium scale, and fanned fret in all sizes. There are LOTS of choices out there way beyond Fender classics.

And there there is The question of fretted or fretless? Is that "something" or "nothing". Only getting one for a while can answer?

And what about the number of strings? Maybe 5 might give you more? or maybe 6 or even 7? Who knows? Just try it an see.

So many basses, so little time!

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fretless, 5 string, 6 string, Ric, Hofner, hollow body, EUB - $#%!, you could go on forever. But frankly, you can cover 96% of gigs with the two Fenders.

15. Ultimately, it would be ideal if you could visit a local music store and test a number of different instruments. Try each control dial/knob and see if you can achieve a tone that you cannot achieve with your current lineup. How about an EBMM? Rickenbacker? Maybe a 5-string?

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    G&L L2000
    20qdo2g.

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd get a good 5 string.

18. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I hate to be this guy, but...

There are hundreds of basses out there with different tones. One more isn't going to widen your arsenal that much. I'm at about 30 guitars/basses right now, and certain sounds still allude me. It's like chasing rainbows. If I were in your shoes, I'd take whatever cash I planned on spending on a 4th guitar and instead make sure my amp / pedal game is on point. Get a nice DI, extension cab, etc. Maybe start building an aux rack to house a nice eq and compressor - or a pedal board to do the same. You could also take that money and put it towards intermediate/advanced theory classes (depending on where you're at) or maybe singing lessons, if you don't already, so you can start supplying harmonies. Maybe get a wireless. Digital wireless units from Line 6 and Sony are really great these days. They put my old Shure RF units to shame.

I could go on and on listing things that won't be as fun as a new bass, but will probably benefit you way more in the long wrong. Best of luck :thumbsup:

19. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    If I were able to afford my ideal arsenal right now it would be poetic: A P and a J, a Ric and a 'Ray. Like the something old/new/etc for weddings. I think between those 4 you'd be hard pressed to miss a trick, but Fugazi above also has a point...

wmmj likes this.
  20. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    My choice would be an active 5-er, or a passive 4-string fretless (Jazz or Precision, pick your flavor). Both would expand your horizons without biting off more than you can chew. Tonally, an active bass will have more options, so even a 4-string active bass like a MusicMan StingRay or G&L L2000 would be good choices. Or, you could go down the effects rabbit hole. Or start buying vintage amps.